well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Do any of you have hearing aids?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any of you have hearing aids?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
How did you get them? Did you go to an MD first?

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I did not go to an MD.
The problem runs in the family.
Had been exposed to loud music and engines a lot.
Have been wearing one or two since 1986.

I recommend going to an entrepreneur with a good reputation, not a clinic.
I have Signia. They are the best I have ever had.
Went to solo practitoner with a franchise from Hearing Rehabilitation Center.
HRC may not be in states other than Colorado.

First try Debrox for ear wax.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Dad got his at an independent outlet and my Mom went to Costco.

The hearing aid places want you to see your doctor to be sure that your ears are free of wax before you have a hearing test. At least that was the case for my FIL and my Mom when they got hearing aids.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
My good Honduran friend has a child with hearing impairment diagnosed at birth...(You would never know it, she is a chatterbox in two languages with sparkly hearing aides under her mass of curly hair!).

They do go to an audiologist who prescribes the hearing aids.

There are those on TV who advertise, but ....I would go to a pro first..

Like eyeglasses, you would not just order them online without knowing what is what.

My Mom needs hearing aids...she is resisting due to cost..But I am not sure walking into Walmart is going to get what she needs.
Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I went to an Audiologist at a Costco.
She told me three things were wrong with one of my ears. One of those was a tumor.
Visits to an physician proved her wrong on all the counts.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
I did not go to an MD.
The problem runs in the family.
Had been exposed to loud music and engines a lot.
Have been wearing one or two since 1986.

I recommend going to an entrepreneur with a good reputation, not a clinic.
I have Signia. They are the best I have ever had.
Went to solo practitoner with a franchise from Hearing Rehabilitation Center.
HRC may not be in states other than Colorado.

First try Debrox for ear wax.

The ear washes never worked for me.

Years ago, I had an ENT scrape it out. That was a nightmare, because I have an unusual little bone in the ear, wax gets trapped in between it and the eardrum, and I couldn't keep myself from flinching.

A year or two ago, I went to an ENT who assured me, no scraping. He used a little suction device. It was loud but bearable, and worked like a charm.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Mr Pique has them. He goes to an excellent audiologist in Missoula, Lynn Harris.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Going to a local well-recommended Audiologist was on my pre-pandemic to-do list. We have a history of severe hearing loss in my family. My dad and his three siblings all have hearing aids. My dad is “profoundly deaf” in one ear and “severely deaf” in the other. My grandfather and his siblings, as well as my great-grandfather and his siblings, were all the same. I’m already showing some really strong indicators that it’s a problem. Now that non-emergency medical appointments are back, I’ll have to make that appointment.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of audiologists here, but mr. Jodi wants to get the hearing aids at Costco, and I was trying to figure out if he needed to see an md or an audiologist first. Not sure if the audiologists expect that you get the hearing aids at their place, and if it’s just like glasses, where Costco has excellent glasses at half the price. (I get all my pairs of glasses at Costco)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I went the expensive route and saw an audiologist at Columbia Presbyterian, and also bought the hearing aids through her.

I do hear good things about Costco.

Hearing aids are ridiculously expensive. I guess Costco has the best prices, and I hear the service is OK too. It is possible they don't have access to the same models that the audiologists do, though.

Be aware that there are organizations working on regulation that will allow more price competition on hearing aids. But I don't know where that stands at the moment. But for the future...

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco is responsible for selling something like 11% of all hearing aids sold in the US.

https://hearinghealthmatters.o...und-bernafon-rexton/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My wondering about the Costco models - and I truly don’t know the answer here - is whether or not you get the same customization as you do with an Audiologist? My dad had his adjusted to meet his particular hearing needs as far as where his hearing loss is. So sounds at some Hz he hears better than others. A couple weeks later, he went back in and explained where he was still having trouble and where sounds were too loud. They adjusted them again. He can keep going back until they are exactly where he needs them to be.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You get the same service at Costco.

After the initial test, they order the hearing aids. When they come in, you have a fitting and adjustment session in the same soundproof room in which the tests are conducted. It's so they can tweak the settings to accommodate individual hearing profiles.

If you have a problem, you can go back and they'll do further adjustments. They do recommend a break-in period where you only wear the hearing aids for a few hours every day at the start. Apparently the brain has to kind of "wake up" and start hearing what are basically new sounds. The more profound the hearing loss, the longer the adjustment period can be.

And I believe there's a 30 day money-back guarantee if you aren't satisfied.

edit: An review of Costco's services.

https://www.hearinginsider.com...ng-aid-center-review

I guess I'd be in the "what have you got to lose by going to Costco" camp. If you're not satisfied with Costco, you return them and go to an audiologist.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
My hearing aids...

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training