well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Emergency declaration (retitled from Rose Garden announcement)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency declaration (retitled from Rose Garden announcement)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
It's painful to read it; I can't imagine listening to it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/po...cy-full-text/582928/

edit: I'm sure someone will be fact checking this; if I see a good one, I'll post it here.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The sing song rant is embedded in my mind.

You can't 'read' that!

Catch it if you can.

What an idiot.

I feel so helpless. What can one do?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
"Why Trump’s Going to Win on the National Emergency"
https://www.politico.com/magaz...nal-emergency-225160

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Watch more CBS!

quote:
CBS cut away from Donald Trump's televised addressed to return to the 'Price is Right' which is normally broadcast at that time.

All of the broadcast and cable news networks carried the declaration and press conference that followed on Friday afternoon.

Only CBS decided to cut away after 21 minutes before the event was finished, The Hill reported....

CBS News reported that the White House has assured the network Trump’s speech will run no longer than eight minutes.

Trump started to speak at 1.10pm and finished at 2pm, which meant the speech was longer than expected.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...ech-Price-Right.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
more on corrections - nbc

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...-LLzYs3qtDt7pFw_miyQ

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
quote:

Trump started to speak at 1.10pm and finished at 2pm, which meant the speech was longer than expected.

He showed up 40 minutes late.

On a completely unrelated topic, if you've ever been curious about random stuff, search the interwebs for "snorting adderall".

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
[QUOTE]

He showed up 40 minutes late.

40 minutes late?!

Did he speak about 6 times longer than he had the network schedule him - or did that time include the lateness?

Words fail me (as so often in response to him).

What a combination of gall and frightening looseness of associations!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/dru...e-of-us-border-fence

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
This begs the question: why read it if doing that is painful.

I don't think you really read it. I think you read over it, while drinking coffee, checking Amazon sales, and selling lava lamps on Craigslist.

So there! Tiki

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Rand Paul will vote to disapprove of President Donald Trump’s national emergency declaration to secure billions for his border wall, clinching a bipartisan majority in opposition of the president’s move.

“I can’t vote to give the president the power to spend money that hasn’t been appropriated by Congress,” Paul (R-Ky.) said at an event in Kentucky on Saturday, according to the Bowling Green Daily News. “We may want more money for border security, but Congress didn’t authorize it. If we take away those checks and balances, it’s a dangerous thing.”

Paul becomes the fourth Republican senator to pledge to vote for the disapproval resolution when it comes up for a vote in the Senate this month, meaning the resolution will pass if Trump doesn’t withdraw the emergency. The House passed the resolution on Tuesday, with 13 Republicans siding with Democrats. Trump has vowed to veto the resolution, which would be the first of his presidency. Both the House and Senate lack the votes to override the veto.

Paul disagreed with Vice President Mike Pence over the matter at a party lunch last week, Republican senators said. Though both sides deemed it cordial afterward, Paul made an explicit case that his party was risking its claim to the political high ground on issues of constitutional consistency, and Pence pushed back against Paul’s complaints.

Republican Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Thom Tillis of North Carolina also support the disapproval resolution.

https://www.politico.com/story...al-emergency-1200372

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
With Republicans controlling the Senate 53-47, it will take just four GOP defections to approve the measure, which the House passed last month.

Besides Lee, four have said they would vote no: Sens. Thom Tillis of North Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Kentucky's Rand Paul. Tillis and Collins face potentially competitive re-election fights in 2020.

Tillis, though, said Wednesday that his vote was "still a work in progress" as talks with the White House continued.

As many as 15 Republicans might vote to block Trump's emergency, said one Republican who offered the estimate only on condition of anonymity.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/sen...-wall-seems-to-crash

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Trump is desperate to avoid the rejection of his emergency declaration in the Senate, even if the rejection is only symbolic because he can veto it. He's pulling out all the stops to twist arms. McConnell has even gone so far as to announce that this is not a free vote ... meaning, no one should be surprised if there are consequences for voting against the President.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
There had been an effort to avoid this vote by voting to amend the law regarding emergency declarations. Republicans could have had a fig leaf by voting to allow Trump's declaration, but to change the law going forward so that Congress would have to approve an emergency declaration within 30 days. However, Trump scuttled that today, saying he wouldn't support it.

https://www.politico.com/story...ergency-vote-1219997

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post