well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano Party this Saturday 3/28/2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano Party this Saturday 3/28/2020
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Still working out the tech details, but I do expect to have video conferencing and real-time “chat” streams going at the same time. It will be an experiment; I suspect we will all be trying different ways to interact and figuring out the dynamics of a tele-piano party together.

One thing I think we should insist on is that participants have to show their faces. Just like a real life piano party, we have to be able to see the real you. Nobody should have to worry about sock puppets or total stranger-lurkers watching us or listening in on us. Agree?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
No problem, you can play two or three pieces in a row if you wish.

Thank you Ax! I'll probably stick with two though! Smiler

quote:
One thing I think we should insist on is that participants have to show their faces.

Agreed.

Ax, have you thought about what platform you'll use?

I'm using Zoom to teach, and it seems like that should work.

One thing that is probably important is the ability for members/participants to enter and leave the meeting without the meeting host having to "admit" them each time. For ex, I would probably want to do my performance on my iPhone and then switch to laptop for listening. I am pretty sure Zoom would facilitate that (as long as the meeting was set up accordingly in advance).

Are there other platforms you're considering?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
*bump* to be sure everyone sees this!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I have a very good friend that would like to be a spectator.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I’d like to join as part of the audience if possible.

I will be interested to learn how you set this up. If people are going to be eating and drinking, you might want to reconsider the requirement that I show my face…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I just sent Ax a PM to offer my services as a guinea pig to test out the set-up. I figure I'm a great candidate as I've never done this before, not even Skyping or FaceTiming.

If he can guide *me* through this, then he'll know he's good to go!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
What program is being used. We would need to install something, correct?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes. I'll let Ax post details.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I have sent out video conferencing information for this party via private messaging.

If you have not get that private message and you want to attend the party, PM me.

I look froward to seeing you all at the party. Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
Party preparations:
- Iron blouse
- Make snacks
- Tidy the part of the house that might show on video

Have I forgotten anything?

Posts: 335 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Really looking forward to this!

If I don't show up, you'll know it's because we have a power outage. We are in the bullseye for a strong storm system heading our way this afternoon right about the time the party starts. Atmosphere is set up for tornadoes above EF2, 2 inch plus hail, torrential rain (we already got over 2 inches last night) and thunder and lightning.

This is beginning to feel a little like the biblical plague thing....

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are in the bullseye for a strong storm system heading our way this afternoon right about the time the party starts.

Oh no!!! Hopefully the storm will not be an issue!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Ax, in case you didn't see it, I mentioned that my daughter's concert last night had a bit.ly link. Click on it, click on the Zoom acceptance box, and you're done! I wonder if that could be put in place for the less technologically capable.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Really looking forward to this!

If I don't show up, you'll know it's because we have a power outage. We are in the bullseye for a strong storm system heading our way this afternoon right about the time the party starts. Atmosphere is set up for tornadoes above EF2, 2 inch plus hail, torrential rain (we already got over 2 inches last night) and thunder and lightning.

This is beginning to feel a little like the biblical plague thing....
Get that. Lemme know when the fogs start coming down.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I can't make it this time. Hope it turns out well.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post