well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano Party this Saturday 3/28/2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano Party this Saturday 3/28/2020
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
You read that right, I propose we have a Piano Party this Saturday, March 28, 2020.

I will host this party. It starts at 4PM Eastern Time (1PM Pacific Time).

Bring your own beer, serve your own food, play your own piano, stay in your own home, and be as comfortable as you want; I plan to remain in my pajamas. I will supply the video conferencing facility.

Who's in?
Send me private message and I will send you video conferencing login information the day before.

Why do this now? Two reasons: (1) it would be sad to go a year without a single piano party, (2) everyone would be staying at home anyway, right?

This may go well, or it may not, but let's start experimenting to see if we can find a way to party safely in a pandemic. Ninja

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m in!

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
OMG a piano party I can actually attend!!!

Oh carp, to don’t have anything to play...

I’m still in though!!!

happydance

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I'm in!

Awesome idea, Ax!

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how this will work but I’m definitely up for the experiment!

Great idea, Ax.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I'm in! I have nothing to play, but it will be great to see and hear all of you. What a terrific idea!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Can I just come to listen? Haven't played in years..my old Steinway long gone.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You and I can be the audience, BL.

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Count me as another audience member - no piano made it through our downsize....

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I can be a listener...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Great idea! I'll be a listener.

My daughter in Oregon is participating in a virtual concert on Friday night. I'm looking forward to that, too.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok I have a couple different options for what to play.

I have never attended a forum piano party, here’s a question. Do people usually only play one piece, and that’s it?

If people play more than one piece, do they usually play them in a row, or take turns with other players (i.e., player 1, player 2, player 3, player 1 again).

I do best if I play two in a row, easy one first, but if that’s not the standard approach, the other thing that helps is to know what to expect so I can do a little “successful visualization”

/PerformanceAnxietyDoesntCareIfIt’sZoomOrIRL

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Since this piano party is a virtual one, I'm not sure how it will work. The ones I've been to have been pretty unstructured and of course, in someone's home.

People come in, get a beverage, walk around and find someone to chat with. Others will just sit down at the piano and play one (or maybe many) pieces and then move on.

kluurs' sheet music collection gets raided and people sight read pieces they are interested in.

People may continue their conversations while someone is playing and drift in and out of rooms.

As long as alcohol and WTFers are involved, I'm good.

WhoMe

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmm... so in that case, since audio for online video conferencing can be wonky.. probably a platform that would allow one person to play and then attendees not playing could be in a chat stream (i.e. typing)? And maybe a breakout room or two?

I’m thinking it wouldn’t work if everyone were talking and playing simultaneously. But that might be some beautiful chaos!!

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I do best if I play two in a row, easy one first, but if that’s not the standard approach, the other thing that helps is to know what to expect so I can do a little “successful visualization”
No problem, you can play two or three pieces in a row if you wish. Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post