well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What will you do today to lower the stress?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will you do today to lower the stress?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
I am surprised at how much stress this is giving me, as I am ordinarily not prone to it. Perhaps the longevity.

So today will be up to 71 and sunny here - we will spend most of the day out on the deck, getting it cleaned up for spring and relaxing.

What will you do to treat yourself?

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13541 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am surprised at how much stress this is giving me, as I am ordinarily not prone to it.

Agreed.

I try to make sure I have time for piano every evening, that helps. And Mr SK and try to take two walking breaks during the day, moving around helps a lot! A few days ago, when it rained all day, I put my headphones on and walked up and down our hallway for 10 minutes.

The thing I'm going to try to start doing today is no internet after 9pm. I haven't been sleeping as well as I'd like, and I think I need to clear my mind of corona-thoughts before bed.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18389 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm cooking way more than I used to. We enjoy spending time together planning what we're going to have for lunch and dinner, and actually preparing the food.

I think a sense of gratitude helps a lot. A habit I developed during the last four or five years when we were going through a pretty rough stretch and things looked really bleak is to notice and to rejoice in the little things. If I think about it just a little, I can see that while things might be tough, in general we have so much going for us.

Also being able to let go of things you can't control and to just take one day at a time. I learned this going through my mom's dementia decline.

And of course for me there is always the garden. Even this time of year when it's more clean up than planting, there is nothing more hopeful than seeing a little green leaf popping out from the dirt.

Hugs, Mik. We'll get through this.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am grateful that this really does not affect our day to day finances, unlike so many younger folks.

Strangely enough our investments are still going up. I thought maybe the unemployment news might bump down a bit.

Well, we have decided to wash windows as well, but right now I am going to take a nap. Woke up every hour or so last night.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13541 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have been struggling with my health for the last many months.

Particularly my foot. I have tried everything but have finally come to the 90% point of recovery.

I went for my first run in many months this morning..OMG..it felt to good.

I will be building up my endurance and being careful, but it is my de-stress medicine for sure.

Been starting seeds, doing yard work when the weather is nice. Walking with a neigbhor.

And more importantly, turning off the news.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'll get in some exercise. That always helps, even if I don't always feel like it.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I’m struggling, too. Connecting with my students helps, but it’s sporadic. I’m still trying to figure out what works for me.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4090 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I'm going on a long run this afternoon. Can't wait!!

Posts: 19760 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes, it certainly is huge when you're on firm financial footing.

There's a saying in Lithuanian that says "The night has big eyes.". When I found myself staring into those eyes, I couldn't turn away/turn my brain off. I found it useful to listen to someone talking me down off the cliff.

I really liked Eckhart Tolle's Gateways to Now. It's an audiobook that I checked out of the library. The first part is longish where he talks about a bunch of stuff for about 45 minutes.

What I really found helpful are the three separate pieces (he calls them Gateways) that are guided meditations to help you get to a place of peace: Inner Body, Silence, and Acceptance. They're each pretty short, and I just pick one and listen to it through my headphones on my iPad if I need to ground myself.

Here are the links to the three gateways.

Inner body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70L8Nqkbjdo

Silence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IF-3jrc1oA

Acceptance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y3042e1yYs

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Walk the dog to the nearby stables.
Make noise or music, call it what you will.
Meditate
Back and shoulder workout

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've been gardening a bit on every sunny day. (I'm sure there's a gardening thread somewhere where I can bore people with what I've planned and what's already come up.) Yesterday, I made a wire bin out of hardware cloth left over from when Quirt was building the elevated gardening beds. Then, I filled it with potting soil and planted some potatoes in there. Today, I just poked a few green bean seeds in the ground.

I'm going a little bit around the house every day. Some of it is routine chores that our housecleaner usually does, like laundry or mopping the floor. Some of it is long-term projects I've been wanting to do, like declutter and organize my office. (That one will take a while.)

I'm playing a very little piano, just sight-reading a few pieces most days.

I'm also working some every day. Online teaching is taking most of my work time now, but I'm working on two book proposals, a novel and a reference book on Agatha Christie. (Have I told y'all about that one?)

It's not nearly as frenetic as it sounds. I spend too much time on the internet reading horrific news, when I should really just read a book. And I spend time on the phone and internet with my kids, because I get terrified for them if I sit down and think too much.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think I'm gonna need all three of Eckhart Tolle's Gateways tonight....gotta remember to breathe....

On the positive side, the pulse oximeter came today. My pulse is 62 and my oxygen saturation level is 99%

ThumbsUp

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

I actually did that yesterday. Yes

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Jon, that is hilarious.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20432 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post