well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Can This Marriage Be Saved?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can This Marriage Be Saved?
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Alternative:

Ditch the old HVAC + jerry-rigged room solutions and move to Mitsubishi ductless system. Allows whole house cooling with a lot of control for more in one area and less in others.

More expensive up front, but probably lower cost over time, especially if you'll need to replace your HVAC anytime soon.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Cut another window banger in to a wall. Very cheap.

Problem solved.

This is what we did when we lived in NY (Queens). Window units upstairs, through the wall in the living/dining room. (It was a tiny house.)

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Alternative:

Ditch the old HVAC + jerry-rigged room solutions and move to Mitsubishi ductless system. Allows whole house cooling with a lot of control for more in one area and less in others.

More expensive up front, but probably lower cost over time, especially if you'll need to replace your HVAC anytime soon.

They're popular in Hawaii. They're great.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Our HVAC is pretty new. These old houses are not conducive to installing zones, though. We looked into that when we first moved in and no one would even prepare a bid.

Moving LS could work, but boy. Kids get really attached to their rooms. So I would have two kids unhappy with me! And the basement won't work because the room down there is very small, has a lot of bugs, and is already designated as Mr. Sphinx's work space.

I think we could put the unit on a table in his current room. His window is mighty small, though. Still, it's worth a shot.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our HVAC is pretty new

If you have a newer HVAC that has a good efficiency rating, wouldn't prioritizing using that be the cheapest solution? I think you should try it for a month and see.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
As an aside, or maybe not even an aside, the ductless units (also called mini-splits) are ridiculously energy efficient.

I had one in my attic office in Massachusetts. The guy who put it in said that they are so efficient compared to regular units, they can't even fit on the same scale for comparison.

As he was leaving after installing it, he suggested to me leaving it on all summer, and letting it dribble cold air downstairs. He said that would be cheaper, in terms of added cooling capacity, than leaving the main AC system to do the whole job downstairs.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Another thought for those with hot/cold zones... There is often a big advantage to setting the furnace fan to "on" instead of "auto" during the cooling season to keep the air moving around. We do it in our apartment in the city that has windows facing the sunrise - those would bake without keeping the air moving because the thermostat is in the hallway away from that side.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We do the same thing. The fan brings up the cold air from the basement.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Now way to answer without more data that you probably couldn’t get. The key to the answer is will the smaller units cool enough to keep the thermostat for the whole hose system from kicking in. If so, how much is saved? How much did it cost to save that amount?

Either way, save the marriage. It is worth a lot more than water the cooling costs.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post