well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Beware-Singulair/Montelukast

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beware-Singulair/Montelukast
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
If you are ever prescribed Singulair or the generic Montelukast be warned.
They come with a Black Box warning label. There are many side effects, mental effects can be severe.
The drug is for asthmatics.
Pollen counts are very high.
I bit off one corner of a square pill today so that I could breathe. An hour later I was sitting, feeling too strange to walk around. Would not have driven.
Could imagine someone with mental problems going over the edge after taking the drug.
Have taken it when necessary for years.
Will look for something else after today.
look for something else after today.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I've taken montelukast daily for years. Haven't had those issues.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, I suffered from asthma in a big way. I was fortunate enough to outgrow it for the most part. I do keep an inhaler around for emergencies. The big gun treatment at that time was something called “Isoprel.” It had to dissolve under the tongue. I remember it was exceptionally effective but it made me kind of spacey.

I Googled Isoprel and apparently it’s still around, but I never hear about it.

Anyone know why?

Meantime, Primatene is back after a long hiatus. I’m glad to see it. Primatene is effective, cheap, and readily available even when traveling. The prescription stuff was $$, wasn’t covered by Medicare, and never worked all that well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
There are prescriptions with the possible side effect of, "death." You can't make this **** up.

Sorry you had this experience, Chas, and hope you can find a substitute soon.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
I took Singulair for quite some time without side effects (that I noticed). But since each person is different, IMO your reaction is a clear indication you need to find a different drug. Good luck Chas.

Posts: 976 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you had taken it previously for years without a reaction yet had such a strong one this time. Makes you wonder what's different this time. Maybe you're taking another med that it interacted with?

Or maybe the manufacturer (if you took the generic) was different this time. There are cases where even though the meds are supposed to be the same, there may be differences in their action. Two examples I can think of are Valium/diazepam (when used in cats) and Synthroid/levothyroxine for thyroid hormone replacement.

Hope you find something that works and that doesn't have bad side effects!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Interesting that you had taken it previously for years without a reaction yet had such a strong one this time. Makes you wonder what's different this time. Maybe you're taking another med that it interacted with?

Or maybe the manufacturer (if you took the generic) was different this time. There are cases where even though the meds are supposed to be the same, there may be differences in their action. Two examples I can think of are Valium/diazepam (when used in cats) and Synthroid/levothyroxine for thyroid hormone replacement.

Hope you find something that works and that doesn't have bad side effects!

I had bad reactions to Montelukast before, but not this bad. My asthma is allergy related. Allergies often get worse with age. I had a lot of allergy trouble as a child.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post