well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Administration decides not to open a special enrollment period for Obamacare

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Administration decides not to open a special enrollment period for Obamacare
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Trump administration has decided against reopening Obamacare enrollment to uninsured Americans during the coronavirus pandemic, defying calls from health insurers and Democrats to create a special sign-up window amid the health crisis.

President Donald Trump and administration officials recently said they were considering relaunching HealthCare.gov, the federal enrollment site, and insurers said they privately received assurances from health officials overseeing the law's marketplace. However, a White House official on Tuesday evening told POLITICO the administration will not reopen the site for a special enrollment period, and that the administration is "exploring other options."

https://www.politico.com/news/...e-coronavirus-157788

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Another round of roller-coaster information from the idiot in the WH.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still, the law already allows a special enrollment for people who have lost their workplace health plans, so the health care law may still serve as a safety net after a record surge in unemployment stemming from the pandemic.
This is already supported, right?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, for people who've lost their jobs. Some companies, however, are "furloughing" their employees, aka putting them on leave without pay. I believe the thinking is that they will be able to retain their employees if they never actually terminate them.

People who've had health care through an employer and have lost their jobs are entitled to enroll in a new insurance plan within 30 days of their change in status--losing a job is one of the "qualifying life events" that allow you to do so. To be honest, I'm not sure what they mean by "relaunching HealthCare.gov." It's never been deactivated.

The only thing I can think of is they are referring to people with NO insurance for whatever reason. I think it's true that if you have no insurance, you can't enroll mid-year, but only during the open enrollment periods.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
What a ******** system we have.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post