well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Poll: Favorite Mitford Sister?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Favorite Mitford Sister?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitford_family

Question:
Do you have a favorite Mitford sister?

Choices:
Diana
Jessica
Unity
Nancy
Deborah
Pamela

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I forget which is which. So many were fascinating. Even the Nazis.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Jessica FTW. Wink

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I read the Wiki and I kind of get it, but what about them do you find interesting?

They strike me as Kardashians with political views.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Did you know there's a piano technician in the Mitford family? Ben Treuhaft was my tuner in the SF bay area, and we both later moved to NY, where Ben ran Underwater Piano Tuning (and massage parlor). He founded Send a Piana to Havana, arranging donations of instruments to Cuba, and sending US techs to maintain them (the Tuners' Brigade). He would come to my place to tune by bringing his bag of supplies on a tricycle over on the ferry.

He maintained pianos for the music department at NYU.

I have a Send a Piana to Havana T-shirt. I swear.

Lefties have more interesting stories.

Last I heard, he now lives in Edinboro, Scotland. At one time he lived in a tent on the beach there.

There's a video about him up on YouTube somewhere. Colorful guy.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds like quite a family.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Um...not the Nazi. Or were there Nazis?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
RP- ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I read the Wiki and I kind of get it, but what about them do you find interesting?

I hadn’t really thought of them that way but they really were the Kardashians of the early 20th century.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Short documentary on Ben Treuhaft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELInW2coj4

Longer documentary (50 min.) on his piano mission in Cuba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YVHtXo1Xw

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I find Jessica Mitford interesting because she was a rebel. She rebeled againt the political views of very many in the English upper classes. It can be said many them had fascist views (e.g. Jessica's parents) or were actually fascists (examples too numerous to mention).

She lived her life according to her principles and on her own terms. Her life (and the lives of her sisters) exemplified the tensions and conflicts of the lead up to WWII, and its aftermath. Smiler

Besides, how can you not like an English aristocrat who became an American citizen during WWII and moved to Oakland? Wink