well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I saw hate yesterday

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I saw hate yesterday
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
We had a family day out yesterday. Art museum, a nice lunch, and a stop at an art supply store near downtown Seattle.

As we were leaving the store, there were about a hundred police officers, mostly on motorcycles and bicycles and we could hear something at the other end of the block. As we walked toward the car, we saw what the fuss was all about. A *very* small group of white supremacist Trumpists were "marching" down the sidewalk yelling stuff through a megaphone and carrying three flags... one a US flag, one Trump flag, and one I couldn't make out. The only thing I could discern was the chant "whose streets? our streets!" which was heard at Charleston and other white supremacist "marches". Other than something about "one hundred years of maga", I couldn't make out anything else, mostly due to the sound of the police motorcycles.

My wife urged us along toward the car, and suggested we not yell anything back or wave a finger at them.

She said there were somewhere between eight and a dozen white supremacists (all but one were male), and at least three or four times that many of other people (opposed to their message) following them. And what seemed like about a hundred cops.

What a waste of police resources.

The only thing I could think that I would have yelled at them was "go back to whatever sh*thole country you came from".

So, we just walked a block to the car and left.

Even after sleeping on it, I still can't think of anything more clever, meaningful, or persuasive I could have said. I think these people are pretty hopeless and nothing I could do or say would have any effect on their hate and ignorance.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I also have a hard time ignoring that sort.
I repeatedly tell myself it is a waste of time.
Have learned to simply stare at my sister-in-law when she starts that carp.

Sometimes I wish I had a loaded missile launcher in my pocket.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I generally ignore that sort of silliness.

I have promised myself, though, that, if I see someone harassing an individual with "speak the language" or "go back where you came from", I will step in. I will not be the guy who stands by and watches that happen.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

I have promised myself, though, that, if I see someone harassing an individual with "speak the language" or "go back where you came from", I will step in. I will not be the guy who stands by and watches that happen.

ThumbsUp I sort of look forward to a situation like that so I can answer back in Spanish...Already I have had many folks be surprised that I can hold my own in their language...Just hoping to put these monolingual racists in their place. Ole

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will not be the guy who stands by and watches that happen.

Yes

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, This.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hope I would do the same.
pj did the right thing in the situation he encountered.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Years ago (as in at least 15), I was visiting my sister who lived outside of Indianapolis. We were driving around looking for something to do (you know, Indianapolis) and I happened to look across and see about 10 KKK, hoods and all, marching around in a city park. There were police and protesters, that outnumbered the KKK. But I was shocked. I'd never seen such an outright demonstration of hate, had never seen anyone wearing a hood. We continued to drive by. I think if we didn't have kids in the car, I might have pulled over and joined the protesters.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member SIPC
Minor Deity
Picture of markb
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have promised myself, though, that, if I see someone harassing an individual with "speak the language" or "go back where you came from", I will step in.

Oh man, I'd pay a bigly amount of money to see that.

Posts: 14230 | Location: Merry Land | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post