well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Big Al's Knee Surgery Saga (WAS: S.O.S. - Big Al is locked out of WTF!)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Al's Knee Surgery Saga (WAS: S.O.S. - Big Al is locked out of WTF!)
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I saw the plastic surgeon today and she says that the wounds are essentially healed but seem to have some sort of fungus on the surface, particularly on the graft donor site. She is starting me on a topical anti-fungal ointment that she expects should eliminate that. I see her again in four weeks and, if the ointment does its job, she will proceed in cooperation with the orthopedic surgeon to do testing of the fluid within the knee for any infection along with x-rays to assess what is going on inside. If all that looks OK, they would plan and schedule surgery to make further repairs to the knee. The best case is that they could put a functional hinged knee joint in place. If something is found during surgery that would rule against that, there are other possibilities ranging from a hinged but not functional joint to amputation above the knee. None of these possibilities can be positively ruled out.

I still have the waist-to-foot brace on the bad leg which keeps me in a wheelchair and so I am still at my daughter's house where I have some mobility. Until the surgery takes place, that will be my situation.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Oh wow. I'm sorry you're still dealing with this. I hope the ointment works and the testing shows that you can get everything properly repaired!

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well, a bit of progress at least but still a ways to go. Pulling for you to get to a great outcome.

Meanwhile, will try to post some quality reading material...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your update.

Comfort

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, big Al.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry you are going through this! Frowner

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Dropping in today kind of at random, I was completely horrified - stronger word needed - to read the complete hell you've been through with your knee surgery (-ies).

I remember too well when you were preparing for it, and I tossed off a passel of casual, meant to be helpful "pointers" based on my experience and I actually blushed.

The contrast between my experience and yours is a universe.

I do not think I've ever heard of a more nightmarish ordeal stemming from a single surgery, then suppurating to a mass of new ones. It was just one (terrible) thing after another, with an unimaginable amount of pain, despair and misery at every stage.

My heart is with you, and I sincerely hope you are on the road to recovery, including reasonable function in the operated on leg so that you can not only walk (even if, you need support as I do),and hopefully able to flex that joint.

It's all been so terrible for you! I can't help wishing you had confided in us sooner, so we might have offered the care and commiseration I'm sure we would all have felt along your Calvary.

Of course, there was that communication problem interfering at the start (I thought it had been resolved through Matt) - perhaps you would have wanted to share your journey with us sooner.

Poor, poor Big AL!
Get well, get very well ASAP.

Comfort

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Seeing the Big Al Communication page rise again and again to the top, I just assumed it was about internet problems and approaches to them.

Perhaps this is a reason to be less hesitant to stick to the doctrine of continually reverting to one original thread because of some commonality in topic.

In this instance, a new thread (the topic certainly changed) might have attracted our attention and consequent support.
Perhaps one entitled "Big Al is having a hard time with a surgical complication" (or the like. I''m sure someone could shorten it)

Then noting he was still having net troubles with the site and replying was hard or impossible. (Of course, I'm assuming he would have wanted to fill us in sooner - and even been able to, through a helpful third party.)

An unspeakable ordeal.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Oh, Al, I'm so sorry to hear this!

Please keep us posted through the rest of this journey. You need your friends at times like this.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it BA. Books (audio and regular), binging on shows, music to pass the time. I know you know all that already.

Here's an up and coming blues rock band from the UK that I've been following and quite enjoy. Check them out on Spotify or on their website. Should help you pass some time.

When Rivers Meet

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Al, I am so very sorry to hear of your situation. I know it has to be so difficult for you.

Hoping things go better from here.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I hope things improve soon for you, Al! You’re going through a very rough time.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good wishes.

This thread arose initially when I found I couldn't get into WTF as a member and so couldn't post anything. That was ultimately resolved (particular thanks to Lisa and Matt).

My junkets through cyberspace were pretty limited while I was in the hospital and the skilled nursing facility so I had not tried to access very many sites while I was there. I did have some access to a laptop, but it was stored in a drawer and I had to hold it on my lap in bed if I wanted to use it. That was so inconvenient that I seldom had someone get it out and give it to me.

I am cautiously optimistic about the ultimate outcome. The plastic surgeon has been extraordinarily diligent in getting me as far as I have come. I think in other hands, I would have lost my leg and maybe my life months ago. The end result is still to come, but I can hope for the best.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Hey! I just figured out I can change the title. Hopefully this will help people who think this thread is just about your login issues! (Sorry Amanda!)

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Oh, Big Al, I am so sorry for this long and painful journey.

Sending healing vibes and wishing the Dr's much success in getting you back on your feet. Comfort

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post