well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It's "fashionable" to be gay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's "fashionable" to be gay
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted
Freakin' idiot. The pope, you'd think, would have his hands full with the problem of pedophilia in the church but surprisingly (not) he's got plenty of time to say that homosexuality is "fashionable" these days and that gays cannot be humanly and emotionally mature. Asshole. Talk about putting ignorance first.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46420146

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9947 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"Italian daily Corriere della Sera"

I need an authoritative translation of the word he used (which, believe me, is not the BBC).

Posts: 20712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of well-tempered gardener
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22719 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, WTG.

Bernard, Were you raised Catholic? I ask because I don't want to be pedantic. Either way, there is a difference in the Catholic Church between two factions, one pastoral and one doctrine-based. My view is that this Pope is pastoral (and warding off the more conservative faction, of course). I compare him to the last pope, and think of his leadership of not-my-Church as an improvement.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Thanks, WTG.

Bernard, Were you raised Catholic? I ask because I don't want to be pedantic. Either way, there is a difference in the Catholic Church between two factions, one pastoral and one doctrine-based. My view is that this Pope is pastoral (and warding off the more conservative faction, of course). I compare him to the last pope, and think of his leadership of not-my-Church as an improvement.

Yes, Daniel, I was raised in a most hideous version of roman catholicism. Nothing loving about it. It was completely fear based, guilt ridden and hateful.

I do not consider Francis to be much of an improvement. When you go around saying homosexuality is "a very serious issue" you are displaying unacceptable ignorance. Ignorance, as we well know, kills people.

He emphasizes celibacy. Again: Not learning a goddamn thing. The rcc has a gargantuan pedophilia scandal on it's hands and he rants about how homosexuals are not fit to be admitted into the priesthood. ****. That. ****.

He is very close to using gays as a scapegoat.

Posts: 9947 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
On the question of whether he is an improvement, I think he could even be worse because he hints at acceptance. "Who am I to judge." Judge what? Homosexuality? How can you judge something that people are born with. It's as ridiculous a statement as saying "Who am I to judge left handed people." Ignorance. It kills.

But he feigns some acceptance (frankly, I think he's horribly confused about homosexuality, and I'd like to see him admit it!). But on the other hand state that gay people are not acceptable for priesthood. As if something intrinsic about being gay was harmful and made a gay person--defacto--unacceptable for priesthood. What he is saying is that no matter who you are as a person, if you are homosexual you are not fit. Sends the message that gays are not really acceptable after all.

No. This is not an improvement.

Forum Frequenter
Picture of DeweyCMH
posted Hide Post
I will ignore and reject everything the Roman Catholic Church has to say about LGBTQ+ people until it removes the teaching in its catechism that homosexual acts are "acts of grave depravity" and are "intrinsically disordered." Until then, any conversation or trying to read the tea leaves about one papal quote or another is a massive exercise in futility. I don't have any time to waste on that kind of nonsense, or on anyone who embraces that teaching.

Posts: 357 | Registered: 11 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I"m so sorry, Bernard. Fair enough, Dewey. I understand anger. I understand dismissal.

But I have a follow-up question for everyone. Do we have different standards for our religious leaders than for our political leaders, and if so why?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I"m so sorry, Bernard. Fair enough, Dewey. I understand anger. I understand dismissal.

But I have a follow-up question for everyone. Do we have different standards for our religious leaders than for our political leaders, and if so why?

Quick answer: In general: Yes. Because religions claim to know g*d. So, imo, they better damned well know that what they are saying is truth and it won't do to indulge their ignorance or toss reason aside--reason, one of the greatest gifts we have. You wouldn't know it to listen to most of these deranged lunatics ranting on and on. Today Pat Robertson claimed responsibility for the first gulf war, saying G.W.H. Bush launched the war after he (Robertson) said g*d told him it would be successful. Can you imagine the delusions behind this sort of statement? The pope says it's "fashionable" to be gay. Can you imagine the delusions needed (based on ignorance, of course) to make such a statement?

And if you don't know the truth then don't pretend to. It's not that complicated. Yes, I hold religious leaders to a higher standard. They claim to speak for g*d. They claim a higher authority.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I see. Thank you for answering my question.

Popularity Seeker
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's beyond the pale to note that victimhood is fashionable. You only have to be alive at this time in history to note that.

Posts: 753 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
All I know is the Pope is Catholic.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
What do you know about bears, Daniel?

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
What do you know about bears, Daniel?

Lions, and tigers, and bears. Oh, my.

Of course.