well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Signs of trouble?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Signs of trouble?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note broke below the 2-year rate early Wednesday, an odd bond market phenomenon that has been a reliable, albeit early, indicator for economic recessions. The yield on U.S. 30-year bond fell to an all-time low, dropping past its prior record notched in summer 2016.

The moves show increasing worries about the global economy as investors rush into safe havens.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/1...k-off-sentiment.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
May be time to think about refinancing a mortgage we took out only a year ago ...

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I hear you, P*D....

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Looks like the market is in freefall.

Here comes the Trump Dump.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
He'll take credit for any upward swings and blame someone else when it goes down. His supporters will do the same.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. It's the I-1 way.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
drifting off topic...

I-1 needs to write a new book: How to Gaslight a Third of a Country

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
: clang :

That was the sound of my wallet slamming shut.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
He'll take credit for any upward swings and blame someone else when it goes down.

Can I call 'em or what?

quote:
As bond markets flashed concern about recession on Wednesday and major stock indices cratered, Trump put the blame squarely on the Fed for continuing to raise rates through the end of last year. Even Trump foe and New York Times economics columnist Paul Krugman dinged the Fed for “a clear mistake.”

In raising interest rates four times last year “the Federal Reserve acted far too quickly, and now is very, very late,” in reversing itself and cutting borrowing costs only modestly so far, Trump tweeted. “Too bad, so much to gain on the upside!”

Earlier on Wednesday, White House trade adviser Peter Navarro told Fox Business Network the U.S. central bank should cut rates by half a percentage point “as soon as possible,” an action he claimed would lead “to 30,000 on the Dow.”

A cut of that magnitude would typically be associated with serious economic risk, not an economy with record low unemployment and ongoing growth.

quote:
It was perhaps the most dramatic bit of evidence yet of just how the landscape for the Fed has changed over the past few months, from one that Powell deemed “remarkably positive” as of last October, to one of rising risks for the United States’ record-setting, decade-long expansion.

As of last fall, the Fed thought the economy, fueled by the Trump administration’s massive $1.5 trillion tax cut package and spending plans, would grow strongly enough to justify steadily higher rates.

At that point the threat of a recession seemed distant unless some sort of outside event intervened to throw the economy off course - something like the collapse of the dot-com stock market bubble ahead of the brief 2001 recession, or the implosion of the U.S. housing and credit markets ahead of the more serious 2007-2009 Great Recession.

Yet, as Trump’s trade rhetoric and his imposition of tariffs on trading partners ratcheted up this year, particularly since May, investors have acted as if a breaking point had been reached.

Global trade flows have dropped. Economic growth in Germany, a bellwether economy of sorts given its reliance on exports, contracted in the second quarter. Data also showed industrial output in China fell to more than a 17-year-low in July. Indices of uncertainty also have spiked.

If Fed policy suddenly seemed out of step, it was perhaps inevitable given the difficulty of keeping up with Trump’s whipsaw approach to trade policy, and the growing sense that the fallout may be deeper and longer lasting than expected.

Worth reading the whole article.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...he-fed-idUSKCN1V41R8

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Krugman's take on the trade war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...ump-china-trade.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
: clang :

That was the sound of my wallet slamming shut.

Why? Is your job under threat? Your salary? Perhaps they are, but people with secure jobs and constant salary tend to do quite well in recessions. Prices moderate or fall, so the real income of those who do NOT lose a job tends to rise.

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
My job isn’t threatened. But I have to worry about the jobs of my spouse and adult kids.

And I work for the government. It’s not like I can expect to make more money. One percent pay raises don’t make you want to go on a spending spree.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If you get a 1% raise while consumer prices fall by 2% your purchasing power is rising. This is why people who don't lose a job often see rising real income during recessions.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Signs of global recession coming ...

Nine nations already there

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Axios reports that Trump officials are worried. If the economy tanks, he doesn’t have a good rationale for re-election.

Some of us don’t think he does anyway.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I find myself desperately hoping for a huge recession.

And then I feel like a monster.