well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Steve, help! Floor patch mix up

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve, help! Floor patch mix up
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
So, Mr. SK bought some floor patch from HD and also some wood filler that is supposed to be paintable. Then he got to work on pulling of the old quarter rounds (in the basement studio) that were in bad shape and filling and repairing the damage to the baseboards from removing the quarter rounds (and also just because they were in bad shape in many spots.)

After he finished, he realized he had used floor patch instead of wood filler for the work on the baseboards. Oops!

So, do you think he'll be able to paint over the floor patch ok? I googled all over the place, and the PDF documentation HD provides doesn't address this, and in the Q&A, there were two people asking if you can paint over floor patch. One person was told yes, the other no! suave

I think he was planning on doing a little sanding, then primer and then paint on those baseboards. Do you think there will be any problem? Any advice?

BTW he did say that he applied in pretty thin layers (a few millimeters) so it should dry ok, and hopefully it's sandable.

Considering all the work he's done so far, and this is the first real mix up (and it's not somewhere like in the living room!) I would say this is a pretty minor mix up, but I think he's kinda bummed out about it.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don't have any idea, other than say that floor patch is not usually sanded and may set up very hard.

I think you'll have to wait and see.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
floor patch is not usually sanded and may set up very hard.

Oh dear.

Well I found a phone number for them and will try to call tomorrow.

I haven't seen the work he did today, but I would assume that a worse case scenario is that the baseboards would be totally replaced. If it comes to that, hopefully that won't result in any damage to the drywall etc....

Stay tuned I let you know what we find out!

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think worst case is he goes through a lot of sandpaper and elbow grease to get them smooth.

Time will tell.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think worst case is he goes through a lot of sandpaper and elbow grease to get them smooth.

That's what he said. At least it's not that one thing you told us not to buy (maybe it was called rock hard or something?)

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Or before I cures completely, get a hammer and a cold chisel and very carefully chip out the floor stuff. Then start over.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So I called to company and the guy (after being sort of bemused) said he thought it would not be a problem to prime and then paint it.

And it was indeed very hard when Mr. SK got to the house this morning. He wasn't able to sand it, but he said he was able to use a metal knife and get the surface to the point where it should be smooth enough for priming. He seems to think it will be fine. I haven't seen it yet but I believe him. Smiler