well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Coronavirus Arrives
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Coronavirus Arrives
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I wash my hands all the time. But I'm not always near a sink when I touch my face. Or I touch my face and then noticed I did it.

Also, as I said, I have two pairs of glasses, and even though it's not like I'm running my hands all over my face, once I started to pay attention, it seems my hands are up around my face a lot more than I realized.

I never use the hand gel. I've read that it's better to use soap and water (and not antibacterial soap). And anyway I don't like how my hands feel after that gel stuff. Yuck.

Now, eventually, I may change my mind about the hand sanitizers, and there are other kinds besides the gels. But for now I'm a soap and water gal.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Time to get my first flu shot ever!!!

Seriously, I’m on a business trip in LA, staying at a hotel in San Gabriel neighborhood. It looked fun in the pics, what with all of the Asian restaurants and culture . . . And everyone but me with a face mask.

Uh oh.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Welcome to CA!

Let me know if you’d like to have dinner. I’ll be the guy in the face mask and the Polo shirt.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Dinner while wearing a face mask?
Don't want to see the video.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I never use the hand gel. I've read that it's better to use soap and water (and not antibacterial soap).

Yes, handwashing is better at removing microbes, but the alcohol gel is very good and much better than nothing. So if no soap and water is immediately available, rock a healthy squirt of the gelled alcohol & kill the microbes instead (>=60% alcohol content).

Different brands feel different. I like the simplest ones, They dry 'cleaner' (& faster).

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The pocket spray evaporates immediately and is not sticky.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Japanese tourists routinely walk around Hawaii with face masks. I'm not sure why.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A prominent Chinese doctor, who had been punished by police for blowing the whistle on the coronavirus outbreak, has died, the Wuhan Central Hospital reported.

The hospital confirmed Dr. Li Wenliang's death in a post on Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter: "Ophthalmologist Li Wenliang of our hospital, who was unfortunately infected during the fight against the pneumonia epidemic of the new coronavirus infection, failed after all efforts, and died at 2:58 on February 7, 2020. We deeply regret and mourn this."

The confirmation from the hospital came after a day of confusion over the fate of Li, who had tried to warn his colleagues about the deadly new respiratory virus in online chat forums.

Two sources had confirmed Li's death Thursday, according to the Global Times, which reported that he had been reprimanded for “posting false information on the Internet,” in the early days of the outbreak.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/w...ho-confirms-n1131556

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Time to get my first flu shot ever!!!

Seriously, I’m on a business trip in LA, staying at a hotel in San Gabriel neighborhood. It looked fun in the pics, what with all of the Asian restaurants and culture . . . And everyone but me with a face mask.

Uh oh.

I'm really confused. If people are overreacting to coronavirus and walking around in face masks, why does that suggest to you that you need a flu shot? Am I missing the deadpan ... Big Grin

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
An unexpected (to me, at least) sidebar to the coronavirus story.

quote:
Streets here were quiet and neighborhoods sealed, but grief and rage against the government poured onto social media across China on Friday as the country confronted the death of the "whistleblower doctor" whose story was seen as a parable for the Communist Party's failings.

Within hours of Li Wenliang’s death, millions of Chinese, homebound in the coronavirus crisis, tried to bypass censors to post the hashtag #WeDemandFreedomOfSpeech in a remarkable but short-lived digital uprising. The users were memorializing Li, who is considered the first to sound the alarm about the deadly new virus when he leaked a Dec. 30 document from his hospital confirming a diagnosis. On Jan. 1, he was detained and silenced by Wuhan police, who accused him of spreading lies.

As the torrent of outrage built up overnight, the government in Beijing turned to a familiar tool — censorship — as it sought to prevent the already-staggering public health crisis from taking a volatile turn.

“He was an ordinary figure, but a symbol,” said Zhang Lifan, an independent historian in Beijing. “If it weren’t for the epidemic and nobody could leave their home, there would likely be demonstrations right now.”

Li’s fame skyrocketed in recent days after he disclosed that after police released him in January, he immediately returned to work at Wuhan Central Hospital and contracted the virus from patients. He fell ill on Jan. 10 and three weeks later, at age 34, became one of the 630 Chinese to succumb to the disease.

On Friday, in semiautonomous Hong Kong, activists planned an evening memorial for Li in the city’s financial district. On the Chinese mainland, where such gatherings are often quickly snuffed out, supporters around the country used the Internet to order deliveries of flowers to Wuhan Central, where Li worked and died. In Beijing, a mourner wrote “Farewell, Li Wenliang” in the snow-covered banks of the Tonghui canal, according to photos making the rounds on social media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...597be6cbc_story.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Whatever the facts, people will remain suspicious that Dr. Li's demise at such a young age may have been hastened by "officials."

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Or that the spread could have been contained more successfully had the government not attempted to keep it quiet.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
This, for me, would be hell on earth:

Cruise ships quarantined

Hell just got a little hotter:

quote:
People who are quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess in Japan have been wondering how long their isolation would last. On Friday, a health official gave an answer they might not like: the quarantine will be extended every time a new case of the Wuhan coronavirus is confirmed on the ship.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07...t-the-isolation-cloc

Bazootiehead-in-training

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Whatever the facts, people will remain suspicious that Dr. Li's demise at such a young age may have been hastened by "officials."

Heck, I am.

OT's ball 'n chain

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
This, for me, would be hell on earth:

Cruise ships quarantined

Hell just got a little hotter:

quote:
People who are quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess in Japan have been wondering how long their isolation would last. On Friday, a health official gave an answer they might not like: the quarantine will be extended every time a new case of the Wuhan coronavirus is confirmed on the ship.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07...t-the-isolation-cloc

They're gambling it dies out but w a 2 week incubation, I think a heck of a lot of people are going to get sick

OT's ball 'n chain