well-temperedforum.groupee.net
The Coronavirus Arrives

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2983917397

26 January 2020, 08:14 PM
Amanda
The Coronavirus Arrives
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I have a former student who works in Japan, she's Chinese and is home in China for the New Year's holiday. She just posted on FB, she's all dressed up in pretty traditional dress but she said she can't go anywhere and she's afraid of being stopped coming into the country when she returns to Japan. Frowner

My best friend is from Mainland China, living near LA now. She reported that their traditional public New Year's banquet was cancelled and instead they celebrated at her home - just friends and family.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

02 February 2020, 01:32 PM
Steve Miller

Life is short. Play with your dog.

02 February 2020, 01:38 PM
Piano*Dad
Exponential Growth & Outbreak Becomes Political...

Despite the seriousness of this for Chinese society, this is what the Beijing government still feels is so important ...

quote:
In a post on social media, since deleted by censors, the doctor said his hospital had only 300 N95 masks left, barely enough for a day. “Fortunately we got a batch of donations from America, 500 U.S. FDA standard N95 masks. It made us so happy because we could last one more day!”

The censors are hard at work, saving Chinese citizens from the horrible news that a Wuhan hospital got a small donation from America...
02 February 2020, 02:41 PM
piqué
Sounds like a good time to stay out in the middle of nowhere. Where I am.

fear is the thief of dreams

03 February 2020, 07:12 PM
CHAS
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

03 February 2020, 07:14 PM
CHAS
Flew from Mexico to Phoenix to Tucson yesterday.
Flying again on the 18th if I am still alive.Wink

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

03 February 2020, 07:32 PM
Piano*Dad
Flying from Phoenix to Tucson must be, like, "we took off ... oh, landing now."
04 February 2020, 01:11 PM
piqaboo
arm chair analysis based on infrequent listening to news reports:

Prediction - its going to get worse for a couple more weeks before it gets better. About 2K people will die of it.
Fewer travelers in America will get /die of flu because they are afraid of the corona virus.

Also, I am afraid to touch my face therefore my face itches all.the.time.

OT's ball 'n chain

04 February 2020, 02:17 PM
Nina
Thanks for the analysis!

I'm in Vancouver BC right now -- lots of Chinese. Lots of face masks. We bravely stared death in the face by going out to eat at a Chinese restaurant over the weekend. The incubation clock is ticking....

Sorry to sound glib. Of course I don't want to get the coronavirus, and wish no one else did, either.

Nina - trying desperately not to touch her face after reading piq's post
05 February 2020, 11:07 AM
Nina
This, for me, would be hell on earth:

Cruise ships quarantined
05 February 2020, 11:19 AM
Piano*Dad
Yeah, no one will come down with coronavirus and 2,115 will get Norwalk...
05 February 2020, 04:37 PM
wtg
I don't know how common mother to child transmission is for other diseases, so not sure how important this news is.

quote:
Pregnant women infected with the new coronavirus may be able to pass it to their unborn children, doctors at the Wuhan Children Hospital said on Wednesday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

The doctors said it was possible after an infected coronavirus patient gave birth to a baby on Feb. 2. The newborn was given a test 30 hours later and confirmed to have the virus, the doctors said.

Wuhan city is the epicenter of the outbreak that has since spread across China and overseas. In mainland China, it has killed 490 people and 24,324 infection cases have been confirmed.

The newborn has stable vital signs and no fever or cough, but was experiencing shortness of breath, the doctors said. Chest x-rays showed signs of infection and there were some abnormalities in liver functions.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...ate-tv-idUSKBN1ZZ1C3

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

05 February 2020, 06:42 PM
ShiroKuro
Nina, I've been reading about the cruise ship docked in Japan, it just sounds horrible!

Also I am trying to learn how to touch my face less in general (I had this on my radar re flu), but wow, it's hard! I am always taking on and off eyeglasses (b/c I use two different prescriptions), and I feel like that has an impact. And then, you know, your nose itches... I have a habit of touching my lips after applying lipbalm (I push the lip balm around, there's a reason, I swear).

Anyway, yeah, I'm trying to stop...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

05 February 2020, 07:45 PM
Daniel
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Flew from Mexico to Phoenix to Tucson yesterday.
Flying again on the 18th if I am still alive.Wink

ROTFLMAO
05 February 2020, 08:25 PM
piqué
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Nina, I've been reading about the cruise ship docked in Japan, it just sounds horrible!

Also I am trying to learn how to touch my face less in general (I had this on my radar re flu), but wow, it's hard! I am always taking on and off eyeglasses (b/c I use two different prescriptions), and I feel like that has an impact. And then, you know, your nose itches... I have a habit of touching my lips after applying lipbalm (I push the lip balm around, there's a reason, I swear).

Anyway, yeah, I'm trying to stop...

Why not just wash your hands? Or use that gel. I always have a hand spray disinfectant in my purse.

fear is the thief of dreams