well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Resolutions you can keep
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resolutions you can keep
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Mine is to say "YES!" to opportunities.

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Declutter more.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Declutter more.

I’m with you on that. We should have another ‘what I got rid of today’ thread.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very cathartic.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I washed, folded, and put away every item of dirty clothing and linen in the house. In so doing, I neatened my closet a bit. The kitchen is clean. The bathroom floor is mopped. My suitcase is packed for a weeklong trip. I leave tomorrow at noon.

I cooked a reasonably healthy lunch--blackeyed peas, cabbage, and corn fritters-and enjoyed the leftovers for dinner. I also snacked, but what they heck.

Tonight, I'm going to do some spa-like things. Condition my hair while I soak in the whirlpool tub, paint my toenails, and such.

It doesn't feel like a bad start to the year. I'd play some piano, but I nicked the pad of my right index finger pretty good on something sharp I shouldn't have put in a kitchen drawer. When it heals, I'll be back at the keyboard!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I washed, folded, and put away every item of dirty clothing and linen in the house. In so doing, I neatened my closet a bit. The kitchen is clean. The bathroom floor is mopped. My suitcase is packed for a weeklong trip. I leave tomorrow at noon.

I cooked a reasonably healthy lunch--blackeyed peas, cabbage, and corn fritters-and enjoyed the leftovers for dinner. I also snacked, but what they heck.

Tonight, I'm going to do some spa-like things. Condition my hair while I soak in the whirlpool tub, paint my toenails, and such.

It doesn't feel like a bad start to the year. I'd play some piano, but I nicked the pad of my right index finger pretty good on something sharp I shouldn't have put in a kitchen drawer. When it heals, I'll be back at the keyboard!

Sounds like a great start to 2018! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bernard.
Bob claims to be completely non-musical.
Will get him a nose flute for his birthday later this month.

Amazon will even let you subscribe to nose flutes so you can get one a month.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how well I’ll keep this, but in the interest of improving dialogue and reducing tribalism, I’m going to try to do the following:

- take the more charitable view of the people I disagree with.

- “steelman” the views of others when I take issue with them

- refrain from replicating ‘outrage’ memes. Though this is slippery because sometimes the interesting news stories contain an element of outrageousness.

- avoid ‘whataboutism’ and arguments about arguments.

- avoid unbalanced charges of hypocrisy, knowing the equal and opposite change almost certainly applies as well

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
I’m with you on this.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I don’t know how well I’ll keep this, but in the interest of improving dialogue and reducing tribalism, I’m going to try to do the following:

- take the more charitable view of the people I disagree with.

- “steelman” the views of others when I take issue with them

- refrain from replicating ‘outrage’ memes. Though this is slippery because sometimes the interesting news stories contain an element of outrageousness.

- avoid ‘whataboutism’ and arguments about arguments.

- avoid unbalanced charges of hypocrisy, knowing the equal and opposite change almost certainly applies as well
Why?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
So how did you do?

I’ll give myself an A+ for sight reading practice. It’s my habit now to do it first thing in the morning on the digital before anyone wakes up. Every day I read through a new Scarlatti sonata. I do it in Longo’s order and I’m on L240 or so, so I should finish in late 2019.

Though it wasn’t part of my resolution, I added scales to the morning routine in the spring.

Decluttering? That’s a different story. I’ll give myself a C-. I got started but it petered out.

As for my list of how to have better discussions, I’ll give myself a B-. I know I didn’t follow it all the time, but I did stay conscious of it and it moderated my posts to a decent degree.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Since I did not make any resolutions in this thread, my compliance is A+.

Big Grin

This year I resolve to do the things that I know I should do more regularly. It isn't about what brings me joy, because I enjoy the things that I do on a daily basis. It's about maintenance and overcoming inertia.

Decluttering would definitely be part of that.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

As for my list of how to have better discussions, I’ll give myself a B-. I know I didn’t follow it all the time, but I did stay conscious of it and it moderated my posts to a decent degree.
I admire that you did it. ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
I bought a Mediterranean cooking magazine yesterday. I am resolved to try many of the recipes. Made a nice Moroccan soup last night. Will make Koshari tomorrow.

I am resolved to finish 2 quilts that I started last year: One wool applique and one pieced.

I am working on Debussy's Preludes and am resolved to learn them this year. (I'm about ready to record Voiles and will post it when I do.)

I am resolved to buy a snow blower.

Hey, I didn't do too badly. I didn't cook as much mediterranean as I was planning, but I did finish the 2 quilts and made a 3rd as well; I have been working on Debussy's Preludes, I'm up to #6, have started slowly reading #7; and I did buy a nice snowblower.

It pays to make reasonable resolutions.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This resolution stuff works great!

Not only did I eat more salsa this year I found a lot of new kinds to try. Cool