well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Adversity Score?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adversity Score?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
quote:
The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.

This new number, called an adversity score by college admissions officers, is calculated using 15 factors including the crime rate and poverty levels from the student’s high school and neighborhood. Students won’t be told the scores, but colleges will see the numbers when reviewing their applications.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/s...ckground-11557999000

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Here are the categories and subcategories:

Neighborhood environment (crime rate, poverty rate, housing values, vacancy rate)

Family environment (median income, single parent, education level, ESL)

High school environment (undermatching, curricular rigor, free lunch rate, AP opportunity)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The data is pretty stark. For kids with a family income of over $200K, the average SAT is 1230; under $20K, it's under 970.

For Asians, the average SAT is 1223; for whites, it's 1123; for Hispanics, 990; for blacks, 946.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This is what an administrator at Florida State said. It's absolutely true, but it's either gutsy or stupid to say it publicly in a state where Ron DeSantis is governor.

quote:
“If I am going to make room for more of the [poor and minority] students we want to admit and I have a finite number of spaces, then someone has to suffer and that will be privileged kids on the bubble,” he said.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What a mess. The entire notion of paying for schools based on local property taxes is part of the problem. Poorer neighborhoods = less money for education. There's no way to fix that issue without changing the entire model of public education, which is about as local as it gets.

Arizona, as an example, had an initiative that would require the state legislature to enact an educational funding bill that was passed by the voters twice, but ignored by the state legislation for many years. This was a state-wide initiative that was intended to help level the playing field. But, as I said it was ignored. The initiative demanding compliance was kicked off the ballot by the AZ state supreme court for the idiotic reason that the wording was "too confusing." (Maybe because the education level for the voters was too low to understand it? Evil )

Anyway, I ramble. My point: the place to fix this problem is at the K-12 level, not in higher ed.

My 2c!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I don't like it. I don't like sociological factors being mixed with actual testing. I don't like the fact the students will not receive a record. The whole thing strikes me as wrong.

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I'm ok with it in principle. So much more defensible than race, morally as well as constitutionally, yet will still increase racial diversity in its effect.

I'd want to know what the 15 factors are. Does the journal article say? The other sources I've found don't list them specifically. Probably not too late for me to game some of them with the boy

eta: just saw Quirt listed them above.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
The data is pretty stark. For kids with a family income of over $200K, the average SAT is 1230; under $20K, it's under 970.

For Asians, the average SAT is 1223; for whites, it's 1123; for Hispanics, 990; for blacks, 946.
... those are the scores of the people who actually took the test. For broader context, I'd be interested to see what percentage of people in each category take the SAT. I'm guessing that the higher the average score in each group, the higher the participation rate.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:

So WTF is 'median income' as it relates to someone's family environment? It doesn't make sense. The median income of an area would be neighborhood environment, family income would be just that, not a median.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's median income for a group of people with similar scores on single parent, ESL, and parental education level?

I agree with you that it's probably preferable to race and such on a constitutionality basis, and it will have a positive effect in terms of diversity by several measures.

It seems peculiarly American to offload social engineering to a for-profit entity.

I also agree with Nina that disengaging school funding from the income level of the people in the school district would go a long way toward lessening the need for these things.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:

So WTF is 'median income' as it relates to someone's family environment? It doesn't make sense. The median income of an area would be neighborhood environment, family income would be just that, not a median.

Go back and look at the data of high incomes vs. low incomes.

I thought, when they said median income, they were talking about how family income compares to the median. All this gets incorporated into a score, after all.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m not questioning the correlation between family income and test scores (though I’m less convinced of the causal relationship than most people here)

I get why they’d want family income, and was surprised not to see it. If they mean family income as a percentage of the median income for a given locale, i would get that too. But it would be odd to refer to either of those as ‘median income’.

At the end of the day, ‘median income’ describes a population, not a family.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
The entire notion of paying for schools based on local property taxes is part of the problem. Poorer neighborhoods = less money for education. There's no way to fix that issue without changing the entire model of public education, which is about as local as it gets.
This ties into the whole notion of "local control." There seems to be a significant fraction of the population who feel very strongly about "local control" when it comes to education.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I’m not questioning the correlation between family income and test scores (though I’m less convinced of the causal relationship than most people here)

I get why they’d want family income, and was surprised not to see it. If they mean family income as a percentage of the median income for a given locale, i would get that too. But it would be odd to refer to either of those as ‘median income’.

At the end of the day, ‘median income’ describes a population, not a family.

My thought was that it was shorthand, because they were trying to keep the labels short. Note that they are all two-word descriptors or acronyms, except for one (a total of 13 letters).

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It would be really interesting to see what kind of calibration and experimentation they did with the factors and weightings.

To what extent was it designed as a race proxy, seeing the writing on the wall for AA and the current Supreme Court?

You could change the relative rankings of the 5 major racial groups by tweaking the weighting on key metrics such as single parenthood, neighborhood crime, ESL, etc, and I’m sure they did. Who knows, maybe someday it’ll come out in discovery.

At any rate, I would have loved to have been in the kitchen to see the sausage made.