well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Craft in the Real World

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craft in the Real World
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
The New, Weirdly Racist Guide to Writing Fiction

quote:
The book taking MFA programs by storm preaches ‘separate but equal’ by another name

Has anyone encountered this book? Any opinions on this author's critique?

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7400 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
‘If it was true that Western literary craft simply didn’t apply to work from other cultures, then the obvious solution would be segregation’

That's not even a "big if."

It's plain stupidity.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
As much as I might like to engage with questions like this in my classroom, doing so puts me at risk of breaking the unclearly worded state law that appears to bar discussion in required college courses of topics that might make any student uncomfortable because of issues like their race and gender.

Any student.

So I'm at risk of breaking this law by discussing any work of literature at all.

Y'all come visit me in jail, okay?

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post