well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Atlas Obscura

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlas Obscura
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I just learned about this today. It's a book - also a website - that lists offbeat and unusual things to see all over the world.

There are cool things less than 5 miles from my house I have never seen, and more cool things that I have seen but never paid much attention to. When you get up in to Los Angeles there are 191 sites, of which I have seen about 30. I've seen a couple in Chicago, a few more in Cleveland and Phoenix and possibly more in other places. I'm just getting started.

Have you heard of this book? What have you seen in your area? What would you like to see?

My grandkids are going to get to see a lot of cool stuff. ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Fantastic find! ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Cool find, Steve! I clicked on the NYC places, and of the first things to show up, I was familiar with City Hall subway station and the Dream House (I worked for composer La Monte Young and artist Marian Zazeela) so have experienced the Dream House. I don't know when the City Hall station can be visited, but it must be open at limited times.

This is akin to the "Weird NY" or "Weird L.A." sites that have appeared in recent years.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It is a really cool site. I had seen it previously; I think either jon or Quirt has posted articles from it.

For anyone visiting our fair city Wink , be sure to see the Tiffany Dome in the Chicago Cultural Center:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/tiffany-dome

If it's Wednesday around lunch, you can also catch a free live classical music performance:

https://www.wfmt.com/programs/...s-memorial-concerts/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It was me, wtg, although it may have been Jon, too.

It’s a very cool site.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I must've missed it the first time around. What a great website!

Thanks for (re)posting.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I missed where Quirt first posted about the AO because I really like it.

One of the other boards I read is for enthusiasts and owners of Toyota 4Runners. That board has a running photo contest where you submit pictures of your truck in various places, or with kids in it, or in the rain, or whatever. One the latest challenge was was to post your truck in front of a place listed in the AO and it looks like that will remain the challenge for a while.

4Runner Photo Game

I posted my response to the challenge this morning, and being as I like the photos (and that board uses the same HTML formatting as this one so I can cut and paste), I'll repost it here:

From the Atlas Obscura:

The Tustin Blimp Hangars

Not easy to get close enough for taking a picture as they are grading for apartments all around them and have the whole site fenced off. Luckily they are large enough that you don't need to get all that close and I was able to get on the construction site to shoot these photos.

Here's the first hangar:

There is also a second hangar I was not able to get close to:

Nobody is quite sure what is going to happen to these as the base was shut down in 1999. One of the problems is that they are constructed of wood, owing to wartime steel shortages and a tight time frame. They are large enough that they create their own weather inside including fog and rain, and the result is that the framing is rotted all to hell. At least one of them will have to be demolished if it doesn't fall down first.

There is a plan to keep the second one as part of the "Great Park", possibly retrofitting it as housing, retail or office space. It won't be cheap and no one has stepped up to take on the project, but the land is too valuable to allow them to just sit there..

Better pictures here.

And a long PDF with the complete history and more cool old pictures.

Across the street they have built a new strip center in anticipation of all of the new residents who will soon be rattling the new apartments. In honor of one of the previous contest I decided to eat breakfast at Dunkin' and take another picture:

I like the way they designed the building to mimic the hangar behind it.

I'd like to stay with the Atlas Obscura pictures for a while. Lots of cool stuff out there.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post