well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Shockwave

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shockwave
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Last year we did a little mold remediation project. I would not normally take on a project like that but this one happened to be in the office of a company that specializes in writing specifications/ procedures for mold remediation. They had a guy stand there and tell us what to do and then signed off on it.

They had us use a product called "Shockwave" to spray on the mold to kill it. At the time the guy told us that Shockwave kills damned near everything and doesn't have the disadvantages of bleach. I have some left over and I checked in to using it against Covid-19.

I just checked and it turns out that
Shockwave is the only disinfectant registered to kill Covid-19 It's not cheap - the little bottle is some $25 on Amazon, but you mix it 32/1 in a spray bottle so a little goes a long way.

Amazon still has it but must be running out because delivery is not until 4/8. I bought another little bottle just now. Perhaps you'd like to as well.

I'm going to spray it on my Amazon deliveries. If nothing else, it kills mold in the shower like nothing you have ever seen, doesn't burn holes in your clothing, and doesn't smell like bleach.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Steve, is this it? Not sold by Amazon, but third party, which always makes me hesitate.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiberlo...e%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sold by Amazon, but third party, which always makes me hesitate.

I do that too. But this one comes up as "Amazon's choice" ??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18473 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Steve, is this it? Not sold by Amazon, but third party, which always makes me hesitate.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiberlo...e%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-1

Yes that's it but now when I check it on Amazon it is listed as "currently unavailable." I wonder if I will get my order? Frowner

[edit]: The 5 gallon pail is still available (14 left), but that's really overkill. Or maybe buy it, use some and donate the rest.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the list of products that are supposed to kill certain viruses. I don't think they've all been tested for COVID-19.

https://www.americanchemistry....ng-Products-List.pdf

The above link came from this article:

quote:

If you take a moment to look at a bottle of Lysol, Purell or Clorox, you’ll see a claim that the contents can kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses.

If you look further on the bottle you may see a list of viruses the product is effective against. In that list, you will see the words “human coronavirus.”

The advertising is leading many to wonder if these common grocery store aisle products can help protect you amid the quickly spreading and deadly novel coronavirus. The answer is maybe. Or, at least they can’t hurt.
Content Continues Below

While the coronavirus is not new -- it was discovered in the 1960s -- the virus that is affecting thousands today is a new version of the virus. Disinfectant products that have been determined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to be effective against coronavirus in the past are thought to be effective for this version of the virus.

While EPA officials believe these disinfectants will be effective against the novel coronavirus, tests have yet to be completed that confirmed the disinfectants are able to kill this virus.

The Center for Biocide Chemistries has created a list of more than 100 ready-to-use, dilutable and wipeable biocidal products that the EPA has approved as effective at killing viruses like the coronavirus.

According to the CBC website, the organization is maintaining this list of antimicrobials that have proven to be effective against stronger pathogens, such as norovirus or Ebola.

“The 2019 novel coronavirus is not your typical household cold …” said Komal K. Jain, executive director of CBC. “We know it is concerning that this virus is having widespread impact. Our members have spent decades conducting research to develop products that can be used safely and are effective in cases such as the novel coronavirus outbreak. There are antimicrobial products in the market that have been tested against hundreds of pathogens in order to facilitate rapid identification of products that EPA presumes will be effective against novel pathogens in instances such as the current outbreak.”

CBC has verified the list of products, all of which are in compliance with EPA’s “emerging viral pathogen” guidance for antimicrobial products.

Coronavirus spreads through direct contact, including person to person and person to surface to person, the CDC says. By using disinfectants on surfaces, the spread of the virus may be slowed. “Antimicrobial products on CBC’s List of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)-Fighting Products have been tested to stop the spread of pathogens from hard surfaces and have received EPA’s approval that the products are not expected to cause unreasonable adverse effects when used in accordance with their labels,” Jain said. “Public health organizations should feel confident that the products included on CBC’s list are available to help protect the public from the spread of the novel coronavirus.”

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/tre...QK5B4DDP4ZZ7GQGWQVA/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There are gallons available on eBay.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I placed an order on Amazon. It didn't say anything about being unavailable. My projected delivery date is between March 27 to April 2.

We'll see.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Another link, slightly different price, sold by same company. Says there are 20 in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A2MONY93H6J538&psc=1

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I placed an order on Amazon. It didn't say anything about being unavailable. My projected delivery date is between March 27 to April 2.

We'll see.

I've had that happen with a couple of things. I think what it means is that my local distribution center is out and they don't know when they will be able to re-stock.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Think it would nuke the stinkies in my sump pit? Would it hurt the rubber diaphragm switch on the sump pump?

Our washer empties into there and the soap scum gets yucky smelling over time...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another link, slightly different price, sold by same company. Says there are 20 in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A2MONY93H6J538&psc=1

That one shows up as in stock here.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I've read that ordinary bleach works just fine. Hell, soap works just fine.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to spray it on my Amazon deliveries. If nothing else, it kills mold in the shower like nothing you have ever seen, doesn't burn holes in your clothing, and doesn't smell like bleach.

Steve is talking about how to disinfect things like cardboard boxes that are delivered to your house. Bleach will ruin anything it settles on if you spray it, and you can't wash down the outside of a cardboard box with soap.

A product like Shockwave certainly isn't a necessity, but it's not a bad idea either.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think it would nuke the stinkies in my sump pit? Would it hurt the rubber diaphragm switch on the sump pump?

Our washer empties into there and the soap scum gets yucky smelling over time...

I'd bet that it will.