well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Winter home insulation/cost saving tip

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter home insulation/cost saving tip
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted
Well, winter seems to have returned to Reno, With the temperature being in the low teens at night and maybe 20° by morning. I’ve been generally pleased with the insulation of my new home since I moved here, as a newbie to winter-ish weather.

But it is always possible to make fine-tuning type adjustments that can improve the comfort level and the cost efficiency. As a bit of a home maintenance savant, I did a check of the premises mid morning today, when I thought the heating system might be working harder than it should need to. I did an eagle-eyed check of the perimeter, and came up with an idea I thought might be useful to everyone.

So here is my tip for the day (Summarized, but I can go into more detail if you’re having trouble following it): During periods of sub freezing temperatures, do not leave the sliding glass door to your patio wide open all night. Although this tip is primarily for purposes of heating efficiency, I believe there also may be some security benefits.

I really should start a blog…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
A blog for my, uh, age demographic might include topics such as this, or “remember to put your pants on before you go out grocery shopping…”

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
A blog for my, uh, age demographic might include topics such as this, or “remember to put your pants on before you go out grocery shopping…”

Or I might devote a whole season to where the hell I put my reading glasses…

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or I might devote a whole season to where the hell I put my reading glasses…

I would definitely read that....when I find my reading glasses.

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Check the burners on your stove. Big Grin

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Our son noticed the heating bill was way high in the apartment and even though the forced-air furnace seemed to be running all the time, they were having trouble keeping the temperature comfortable.

I asked him if he ever checked the filter.... no air flow, all that heat just goes up the chimney!

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post