well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    75 years ago today

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

75 years ago today
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
My uncle’s (father’s brother) one and only day of action.

He had joined the Navy at 17, which required parental permission, and was sent to England to prepare.

He was a machinist’s mate on an LST. That LST was hit, and he abandoned ship. He was then shot in the water.

He was mustered out, first to convalescence in England, then back to the states. He had a slight limp after that that never really went away.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have an idea for a D-Day related book I want to write. My agent likes the idea, but it would mean taking time away from the Faye books and I have a new publisher. It is probably strategic to wait a couple of years to do something that could be risky.

Writers get approached all the time by people saying, "I have a great idea! I'll tell you, you write the book, and we'll split the money!" And it honestly might be a great idea, but a friend of mine said it best: "I'm not going to live long enough to write all the books I already have in mind."

(I can't remember if I posted about the new publisher thing. Sourcebooks, which says it is currently the 10th largest trade publisher in the US, bought my publisher as of January 1. Then, last month, Penguin Random House, which I believe is the largest trade publisher in the world, bought a 45% stake in Sourcebooks. What does this mean for the little people who write the books? I have no idea.)

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post