well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ooops ... The Wall will

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ooops ... The Wall will
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
... destroy SpaceX's Texas facility, costing $100 million and five years. I suspect the five years part is worth many billions. SpaceX is currently lying low and probably working behind the scenes.

Imagine that eminent domain bill ...

SpaceX Texas Facility will be Cut in Half

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don't understand.

Why would Spacex build a facility that straddles the international border?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Many reasons, and the border isn't one of them.

The Texas site is closer to the equator than the other two major launch places (Kennedy and Vandenberg). Closer to the equator = less fuel needed to reach orbit.

That land was cheap. So buying the site is less expensive than renting another launchpad at Kennedy.

It's right on the ocean. That helps with deliveries of large stuff, like big rocket parts.

Launches take place to the east, and over water.

I think Texas gave SpaceX regulatory and financial intensives.

The site is isolated, so NIMBY was largely avoided.

Enough? Wink

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Quick Google shows that the Spacex facility is a good bit north of border. Between the border and the Spacex site is a the Las Palomas Wildlife Management Area.

Looks to me like DHS decided it will be easier to build across Spacex land than to try to build across the Wildlife Management Area, or perhaps they are banking on Spacex getting an exception.

Or perhaps the wall will never be built and this is all smoke and mirrors.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The wall will never be built. If it were, Individual 1 would have to find something else to foment animation in his base... and it would have to be something else that can be encapsulated in three words (three words that he can actually remember). If the wall is not built, the bogeyman is alive and well.

Analogy: we had republicans controlling both houses of Congress and in the White House for years, but abortion is still legal. Because if they had followed through on their promise to ban it, they'd have to find something else to keep the white evangelical Christians voting for them.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post