well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tsundoku

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tsundoku
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Used to be me, especially cookbooks. No more.

quote:
Tsundoku: The Art of Buying Books and Never Reading Them
Be honest, how many books on that shelf have you actually read cover to cover?

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
But...books on shelves are good for sound deflection in the piano room. Whether read or not. Smiler

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am the sheet music version of tsundoku, I buy a lot of sheet music. I’ll play it eventually!! Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I just went through my extensive cookbook collection that I never touch anymore in favor of the internet. I will keep about 5% of them. The rest are going to Half Price Books when I get around to it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I did my first cookbook downsizing and went to Half Price Books. The one near me only wanted relatively recent cookbooks and even though mine were in perfect condition and had been popular books at one time, HPB weren't interested.

You might reach out to Brenda next door. She loves cookbooks and has that huge kitchen with lots of shelf space. I've done a couple more rounds of downsizing and sent her a list of books that were available and then sent them to her USPS book rate.

Worked out great for both of us!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Great idea. Even if HPB takes them I won't really get enough to make the effort worthwhile. I will contact Brenda. Thanks! I'd much rather see them end up there.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post