well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A more than pleasant surprise

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A more than pleasant surprise
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We bought a bottle of 1977 Taylor Fladgate port back in the 1980s after hearing that it was an incredible year and that it would age well. It's been in *our* basement gathering dust for nearly 40 years.

We thought the port was shot at this point because we could see that some had leaked through the cork and stained the label at the top.

We're getting ready to move stuff around in the basement in advance of our remodeling project and decided it was time to open the bottle and see if it was at all drinkable or if it was headed for the drain.

Drum roll....

This puppy is a survivor. It's absolutely delicious.

cheers!

(i know, I know....wrong kind of glass, but I got rid of the Riedel port glasses about a year ago during a great purge....)

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Port lasts a very long time. Wish I could taste it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Found some reviews online and at least one guy must have had a bottle that looked like ours.

quote:
So nice. Surprised me a little given the state of both the bottle and the cork. Lots of bunt caramel, yet still feels quite fresh.

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=10943

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I was a junior in college ... Big Grin

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yay! Sounds great!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I love port. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Hmmm!

I don't know port.., think I had it once and liked it

So now what about the rest of the bottle? Will it wait for another occasion or will you need to drink it soon?

(I'm on my way...!)

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post