well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    All Covid, All The Time?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Covid, All The Time?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
I have a small request that I'll phrase in the form of a question:

Would it be possible to put all of the Covid topics into one thread?

The topics are interesting and important, of course. But it is hard to keep up with everything when they are in multiple threads.

As an example, we could call it "Covid Updates," and it would include the links to everything from the Covid tiger to Boris Johnson to all of the famous people who are diagnosed or die from the virus.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Many of them form their own thread of conversation.

For example a thread about Cuomo might live on for weeks. Those posts can easily got lost in a mega-thread

How about we just try to use existing threads where it's appropriate?

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I felt a similar way about Trump threads.

Well...

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Somehow I don't think this will work, and it would be much harder to talk about all the various sub-topics if they are all in one thread. Say someone posts on one topic (sick famous people) and then another person posts on a different topic (new antibody testing), and yest another person posts about PPE. And then I want to make a comment specifically about sick famous people.... Well, I think it would be harder to read, follow and participate if it were all in the same thread.

I get it though, it is kind of overwhelming... but I don't think trying to force people into one thread is the solution.

Plus I notice that on forums, it rarely works when one member tries to tell other members how to post. I'm thinking esp of people on PW with this comment, like when I see people posting something like "you can't talk about that, this is my thread" and it never works....

Just my two yen though.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also, Cindy, didn't you say your daughter and some others in your family are sick? How are they doing?

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I admit that I am skipping over the COVID posts that are nothing more than links to today's news stories. But I do appreciate the ones that turn into discussions, and I don't see a way of predicting which will turn into discussions vs which won't.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. I thought I'd raise it.

For me, the Covid posts are overwhelming and making this board kind of a bummer.

I'll take a break and check in with you all in a few weeks or whatever.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Cindy, It's just my take on things... ... Also, for me, this is comfortable place to talk about covid and related issues, so I find that helpful.

I hope you and your family are ok and your daughter and niece get better soon!!!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Somehow I don't think this will work, and it would be much harder to talk about all the various sub-topics if they are all in one thread. Say someone posts on one topic (sick famous people) and then another person posts on a different topic (new antibody testing), and yest another person posts about PPE. And then I want to make a comment specifically about sick famous people.... Well, I think it would be harder to read, follow and participate if it were all in the same thread.

This, plus what Jon said.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I agree but if you try to read all the news sites, they are in the same boat.

I suggest we all post NON covid postings.

Jodi's "relaxing" post has sent me down a rabbit hole of lovely videos that I have shared with many.... Smiler

Lets talk about books, things we are doing (jodi will win that one!).

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
On a general discussion forum like this, it's inevitable that members have different interests. Some folks are current events oriented, and others prefer items of a more personal nature. And others like a mix of the two.

I'm going to try something....for anything COVID-related that I'd like to share, I'm going to put items that I feel might be of interest to some members in a separate daily digest. It will be labeled

"wtg's CD (date)"

If any other members want to add to my thread, or respond, that's great. And if I think something is likely to be a topic for more general discussion, I'll start a separate thread.

If you want to avoid COVID info, then just skip the thread. It will be clear which one it is.

I'm going to try it for a week and see what happens.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Those posts can easily got lost in a maga-thread

Big Grin

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Oops! I fixed it.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post