well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Calling all cooks
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all cooks
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
WTG..I LOVE those carnival squash..I cut them in half with a bit of butter and roast them in my toaster over..done..dinner.

I got my CSA today as well..I get one as a job benefit. But there is too much for just me so I split it in half and give the other to my neighbor.

This week we had acorn squash, onions, husk cherries (the last of the crop!), chard, tons of multicolored carrots. Then I have the "staff" bin, where we pick through the seconds that have not sold at the market. I think I got the last of the plum tomatoes... Yummy

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Meant to post about the spaghetti squash experiment.

Total nummy success!!!

I roasted the squash per dol's suggestion, and used that in the Moosewood recipe that BL posted. The roasting brought out really nice flavor in the squash; mr wtg and I both thought it was excellent just roasted, but I had purchased the rest of the ingredients to make the casserole, so I went ahead.

I left out the mushrooms; they just didn't sound like what we wanted in there. I could have put in more diced tomatoes than I did.

I also think I'll try a nutty Emmenthaler cheese as the topping instead of parmesan next time. I think it would be a nice change.

The only thing that I don't like about spaghetti squash is cutting it in half. I had to use the cleaver and a mallet.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

The only thing that I don't like about spaghetti squash is cutting it in half. I had to use the cleaver and a mallet.....

If you microwave it for about five minutes before you try to cut it, it cuts easily.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Will keep that in mind for next time!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Thanks. Will keep that in mind for next time!

You can just poke it with a few knife holes and roast it for a bit as well to soften it. Same goes for Acorn and Butternut squash.

Glad you liked the Moosewood recipe! I hope you had leftovers as it seems even better the next day.

And I agree, I put more tomatoes in and skip the mushrooms. Yum!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This is kind of fun. These just got delivered:

From this place:

Flatiron Pepper Company

I've been testing them on boiled eggs. They're not as spicy as I expected, but I eat a lot of spicy food so YMMV. Because they are dried the flavor really doesn't come through until you rehydrate/cook with them.

We added some of the sweet/hot blend to sausage and cabbage and while it wasn't spicy, the flavor really popped!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
This is kind of fun. These just got delivered:

From this place:

Flatiron Pepper Company

I've been testing them on boiled eggs. They're not as spicy as I expected, but I eat a lot of spicy food so YMMV. Because they are dried the flavor really doesn't come through until you rehydrate/cook with them.

We added some of the sweet/hot blend to sausage and cabbage and while it wasn't spicy, the flavor really popped!

Oh these look wonderful! I’ll have to see if I can find them or similar in Canada. We use a Ghost Pepper salt when we make Indian food that isn’t quite spicy enough for our taste and it’s such a great addition!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post