well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Calling all cooks

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2813959497

22 September 2020, 12:59 PM
wtg
Calling all cooks
I got a spaghetti squash in my CSA box and am looking for some ideas for how to prepare it.

I've had them before but it's been a long time. When it became more widely available (maybe in the 1980s?) most recipes were focused on treating it as a veggie substitute for spaghetti (the pasta).

I vaguely remember steaming or microwaving the squash, cutting it in half, scraping out the innards, and topping it with marinara sauce. It was OK, but not very exciting.

I'm wondering if it can be roasted.

Anybody got a recipe to share?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

22 September 2020, 02:44 PM
BeeLady
Still one of my all time favorites is the Spaghetti Squash Casserole from the old Moosewood Cookbook. I just don't use the mushrooms.

It is even better as leftovers.

Moosewood Recipe

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

22 September 2020, 03:35 PM
wtg
That looks like a very good option; I even have some fresh tomatoes from my garden. I just have to get some ricotta.

I actually have that cookbook, and several other Moosewood cookbooks. I would have never found the recipe as it seems to be listed in the index under the "mushroom" category rather than squash. Go figure.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

22 September 2020, 06:10 PM
Steve Miller
This recipe crossed my Facebook feed yesterday and I think it sounds pretty good:

Spaghetti squash burrito bowls

I'd skip the packaged taco seasoning mix (ugh) and make something up. I might use a tablespoon or two of jarred salsa and/or some chopped jalapenos - fresh or canned. Pico de Gallo would be good as well - fresh or in a the jar.

One thing I remember from the last time I made spaghetti squash is to microwave the whole thing for a few minutes so you can cut it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

22 September 2020, 06:45 PM
BeeLady
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
That looks like a very good option; I even have some fresh tomatoes from my garden. I just have to get some ricotta.

I actually have that cookbook, and several other Moosewood cookbooks. I would have never found the recipe as it seems to be listed in the index under the "mushroom" category rather than squash. Go figure.

My old bedraggled copy has it under "Squash, Summer".

The maple walnut pie is a Tday tradition in our family and the lentil soup is amazing. It is still my favorite cookbook. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

22 September 2020, 07:29 PM
Steve Miller
Speaking of cooks, my DIL just introduced me to a Facebook group called "Live French - Live well.

The recipes and photos on that site look fantastic! Fairly simple too - or at least how they look. Actually making the recipes might be a different matter, but they certainly look to be worth a try.

I've never heard of a galette, much less made on. Now I'm obsessed.

22 September 2020, 08:29 PM
dolmansaxlil
quote:
roasted.

Anybody got a recipe to share?

Outrage is warranted. But outrage unaccompanied by analysis is a danger in itself.

Bazootiehead-in-training

I roast mine (cut in half, rub with olive oil, salt and pepper. 400° ish for 40 ish minutes.) Toss with a bit of butter. Parmesan on top is also yummy. You can also sauté it (after roasting) in olive oil and garlic. I love squash in general and spaghetti squash in particular!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

22 September 2020, 10:48 PM
Mary Anna
I roast it the way that Dol does.

I've tried a couple of different recipes with marina and sometimes cheese, but I never loved the results.

Then last year, I got one in my CSA box and didn't have time to do anything fancy. I roasted it and scraped the little noodles out. Then I made the easy cheese sauce my mother used to make--melt some butter, stir some flour into the hot butter and cook the flour/butter paste until it's warm but not brown, thin it with milk, then melt in a fistful of cheese with some salt and pepper and paprika.

Then I threw the spaghetti squash in there and stirred it up. It was really easy and something about the combination of flavors was just what I wanted that day.

I hope the CSA gives me another spaghetti squash soon. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

25 September 2020, 02:30 PM
wtg
Doing spaghetti squash tomorrow. I think I'm going to combine BL and dol's recipe and will make the casserole with roasted squash!

Got another CSA box today.

Some lovely winter squash:

Will give a squash to my neighbors; three big squash are a lot for just the two of us.

And something I have no clue what to do with, namely Brussels sprout tops. (with two bunches of carrots photobombing).

I'll have to check Farmer John's website; he has recipes for everything he grows on his farm. I love Brussels sprouts. The tops are large and very cabbagey. It will be interesting.

Bazootiehead-in-training

25 September 2020, 02:41 PM
wtg
This soup sounds pretty good. Weather will cool off next week and I have chicken stock in the freezer. Also just bought a bag of little potatoes.

https://www.theguardian.com/li...ops-are-good-for-you

Bazootiehead-in-training

25 September 2020, 03:11 PM
Steve Miller
I've never heard of cooking with Brussels Sprouts tops and I have never seen them for sale.

I wonder what happens to them? Animal feed?

25 September 2020, 03:19 PM
wtg
The Guardian article said they used to be left in the field or fed to animals. Now they're considered trendy. Well, at least as of 2013, when the article was written.

I've never seen them in a store either. I never heard of them until they came up in the list of veggies that Farmer John grows. I love sprouts and figured I'd give the tops a spin!

edit: You should see people in the grocery store who encounter whole stalks of Brussels sprouts in the produce department for the first time. They can't figure out what to do; most people have seen them removed from the stalk and don't know how they grow.

BTW, Trader Joe's has whole stalks of killer sprouts during autumn, usually for about $4 a stalk. If you like Brussels sprouts, be sure to grab a stalk. They're great.

Bazootiehead-in-training

25 September 2020, 05:00 PM
Steve Miller
I remember the first time I saw Brussels Sprouts growing in a field.

Blew my mind...

25 September 2020, 05:15 PM
Mary Anna
That soup recipe looks really good.

I might also try it without the sausage and bay leaf to make the flavor all brussels sprouts all the time. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

25 September 2020, 06:33 PM
Mikhailoh
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I remember the first time I saw Brussels Sprouts growing in a field.

Blew my mind...

Aren't they cool looking? I love buying then on the stalk.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch