well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The EU Votes To Ban Single-Use Plastics
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The EU Votes To Ban Single-Use Plastics
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
The "single use plastic" I use most are water bottles.
I hope there will be a good disposable alternative for those.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
How about a reusable water bottle?

I'd love to see single use plastic banned everywhere, personally. But I know that Australia has a plastic bag ban everywhere but NSW that has been very effective, but you would have thought that people were being asked to donate their firstborn to science, given the reaction. I think things have calmed down now, though.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
That's great news. Delhi, India also has a total ban on single-use and the whole of India is planning to end use by 2022. https://www.nationalgeographic...arashtra-tamil-nadu/

Will the US follow suit? NH legislature voted to ban plastic bags a few weeks ago, it remains to be seen if it get signed into law. I rather doubt it (Sununu is our current governor).

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
How about a reusable water bottle?
Like rechargeable batteries. It’s one thing if it’s “built in” (like your body having “built in” water storage), quite another if they are cells that you have to change and recharge.

Carrying empty, cleaning, and refilling “reusable” water bottles are more of a hassle than changing and recharging replaceable “rechargeable” batteries.

When traveling with water, I’m spoiled by disposable bottles much like I’m spoiled by disposable batteries for devices that use replaceable batteries.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Of course single use is convenient. It just that we need to be aware of the cost of that convenience.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37931 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
NH legislature voted to ban plastic bags a few weeks ago, it remains to be seen if it get signed into law. I rather doubt it (Sununu is our current governor).

CA banned free single use bags a few years back. Now if you want a bag it will cost you a dime.

At first I heard a lot of griping but now people seem to be OK with it. Everyone carries bags (like tote bags) in their cars and the bags you buy for a dime are heavy enough to reuse many times.

Upside is that the canvas style bags - free nearly everywhere as long as you are willing to put up with some advertising - are much larger and stronger than the old plastic bags. It's amazing how much stuff I can fit in one.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Illinois' new governor was talking about taxing single use plastic bags at a dime a piece. Chicago implemented a 7 cent bag tax a few years ago and plastic bag use is way down.

Wouldn't affect me; I've been using my own bags for years. I had a friend who worked for a company called Bag Makers. Bags that didn't meet quality control standards (errors in logos, smeared ink, crookedly sewn seams) were set aside and employees could take them for free.

I have a lifetime supply of these pups. People sometimes ask me why I have a bag from the Nashville Police Department. Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37931 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
NH legislature voted to ban plastic bags a few weeks ago, it remains to be seen if it get signed into law. I rather doubt it (Sununu is our current governor).

CA banned free single use bags a few years back. Now if you want a bag it will cost you a dime.

At first I heard a lot of griping but now people seem to be OK with it. Everyone carries bags (like tote bags) in their cars and the bags you buy for a dime are heavy enough to reuse many times.

Upside is that the canvas style bags - free nearly everywhere as long as you are willing to put up with some advertising - are much larger and stronger than the old plastic bags. It's amazing how much stuff I can fit in one.

I keep forgetting to bring my reusable shopping bags with me when I go shopping, so I end up buying a few more (2 for $1)!! I've got plenty to last me a while now. I'm trying something new starting this week: After I unpack the bags I hang them on the doorknob hoping that I won't leave absentmindedly without them.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I've used canvas bags for weekly grocery shopping for years. But I forget to have them around for casual purchases (like leaving a couple in the car, on the bike, or in my music bag). So we still accumulate some plastic, and there's a bin for those to be recycled at the grocery store (wondering if they really recycle).

I'm trying to be better.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It's a mess. No pun intended.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Does that include single use in the laboratory or medical practice?

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
After I unpack the bags I hang them on the doorknob hoping that I won't leave absentmindedly without them.

I do the same thing. As long as the bags get put back into the car, I'm good to go. We're all pretty well-trained now to grab the bags on the doorknob to the garage and fling them into the back of the car whenever we go outside. The downside is that they tend to get put into our primary car and, on occasion we find ourselves with our road car at the store and no bags.

(Primary car - electric/commuter)
(Road car - gas, AWD for road trips)

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
For those of you who use your own bags, how often do you wash them?

Be honest. Smiler

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
You're supposed to wash them?