well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The deep reach of Amazon

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The deep reach of Amazon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
God bless California.

quote:
When I requested my personal information from Amazon this month under California’s new privacy law, I received mostly what I expected: my order history, shipping information and customer support chat logs.

But tucked into the dozens of files were also two Excel spreadsheets, more than 20,000 lines each, with titles, time stamps and actions detailing my reading habits on the Kindle app on my iPhone.

https://www.theguardian.com/te...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Also this:
quote:
“Never underestimate the power, or willingness, of tech companies to do almost anything to make a little extra money – including shifting the entire way we make music or read and write books,” she said. “They are perfectly willing for art to be collateral damage in their pursuit of profit.”

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never underestimate the power, or willingness, of tech companies to do almost anything to make a little extra money – including shifting the entire way we make music or read and write books,”

They don’t have that power. They can, however, offer an improved method that is so compelling that hundreds of millions of consumers vastly prefer it to the old methods. That’s something they can do, occasionally at least.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
“They are perfectly willing for art to be collateral damage in their pursuit of profit.”

Usually when people say things like this about art or a trade like journalism, the collateral damage is really a particular business model that grew up around the art or the craft. Not the art or craft itself.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The real revolution was the printing press, IMHO.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think I should be concerned about this but so far I’m not. I use ad blockers and don’t see any ads.

Am I being naive?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I had already surmised this by the fact that they update the ‘amount left’ in your book based on your actual reading pace and the fact that information is preserved across devices.

I read on the kindle but will often look up things on the kindle app on my Mac. It’s nice that my highlights and notes make it across.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I being naive?

Probably. At least as far as I can tell. It's not just ads directed at us as individual users, it's the totality of the data and the surveillance. And the fact that this kind of tracking and maintaining user data opens itself up to all kinds of uses and abuses...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I agree, SK. It's not just about ads. It's about all the information that's presented to us. FB, news aggregation sites, etc.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've recently started reading on Kindle, and all of a sudden I'm more active on Goodreads (where I almost never go), because it's an Amazon affiliate and it's posting what I'm reading and how far I am into it.

I can probably figure out how to turn off that function, but there's nothing particularly weird about what I read. I don't think. Now I'm going to check...

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I dunno, Mary Anna. Perhaps your long list of "how to kill people without leaving a trace" research reads might raise some eyebrows. Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I dunno, Mary Anna. Perhaps your long list of "how to kill people without leaving a trace" research reads might raise some eyebrows. Big Grin

ROTFLMAO

I’m re-reading through the Faye Longchamp series. Is that too much research on the topic?

Currently lost in family trees and Louisiana inheritance laws. Usufruct!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post