well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Stay up or go to bed early?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stay up or go to bed early?
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Don’t get me wrong, I love Vancouver Island. I lived very near it for 10 years, could often see it across the water and it wasn’t much of a trip to get there. I lived in that climate. But I’ve decided like living in a sunnier drier climate with lots of space for horses, and no need for car ferries. Smiler And quite honestly, all this talk of moving someplace else - you just end up with another set of issues to be unhappy with. I’m tired of moving. (Not to say it won’t happen to us again at some point, but I’d just rather not at the moment. So much time wasted moving).

Yes, I can't see you choosing to move again any time soon. I've been here almost 30 years. I was just having a nice socially distanced visit with a friend who has lived hear nearly 40 years. (She's from upstate NY) as she said to me, "It's not the Montana we moved to and fell in love with. That's gone. And Gianforte will destroy whatever is left of it."

Also, Mr. Pique is retiring soon and we will be free to leave. I thought I'd live out the rest of my life here.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21341 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fox’s Arizona call for Joe Biden flipped the mood at Trump camp

With Florida looking red early on Tuesday night, President Trump and his advisers thought they were witnessing a repeat of election night 2016, when a victory in Florida foreshadowed a victory over all.

Inside the East Room, the mood was upbeat as hundreds of people, including cabinet secretaries, ambassadors and former officials who have remained loyal to Mr. Trump, mingled and dined on sliders and French fries. Officials who had been pessimistic about the president’s re-election chances suddenly started to picture four more years in power.

That mirage of victory was pierced when Fox News called Arizona for former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. at 11:20 p.m., with just 73 percent of the state’s vote counted.

Mr. Trump and his advisers erupted at the news. If it was true that Arizona was lost, it would call into doubt on any claim of victory the president might be able to make.

What ensued for Mr. Trump was a night of angry calls to Republican governors and advice from campaign aides that he ignored, leading to a middle-of-the-night presidential briefing in which he made a reckless and unsubstantiated string of remarks about the democratic process. Standing in the East Room at 2:30 a.m., he dismissed the election as a “fraud” and claimed he wanted to stop the counting of votes and leave the results to the Supreme Court.

The Trump campaign knew Arizona could be up for grabs, but the Fox News call putting it in Mr. Biden’s column was symbolic, making it the first state that appeared to have flipped from the president’s 2016 batch of winning states. Gov. Doug Ducey, Republican of Arizona, had been on the phone all night with administration officials and campaign staff members, adamant that there were still Republican votes to be counted in his state.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...lwqjug6m4-story.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When Fox called Arizona for Biden.

https://www.latimes.com/entert...-arizona-trump-biden

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Interesting article, but I don't know if I can get behind the normalized use of "vote" as a non-countable noun (beyond the phrase "get out the vote")

quote:
there was not enough vote outstanding

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
It looks like the post office failed to process a bunch of ballots in swing states:

"In several swing states, late ballots will still be counted as long as they were postmarked by Election Day and received by Friday, according to state law. They include Nevada, where 4,518 ballots arrived after Election Day, as well as North Carolina (2,958) and Pennsylvania (3,439).

But in other states — such as Arizona, where 864 ballots were delayed, and Georgia, where 853 were delayed — votes that did not reach election officials by Nov. 3 will be disqualified.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
It looks like the post office failed to process a bunch of ballots in swing states:

"In several swing states, late ballots will still be counted as long as they were postmarked by Election Day and received by Friday, according to state law. They include Nevada, where 4,518 ballots arrived after Election Day, as well as North Carolina (2,958) and Pennsylvania (3,439).

But in other states — such as Arizona, where 864 ballots were delayed, and Georgia, where 853 were delayed — votes that did not reach election officials by Nov. 3 will be disqualified.

Yes, every lost vote is terrible, but when you figure the overall total of over 150 million votes being processed, it's only to be expected - or worse.

That's especially true considering so many were being handled in paper copies instead of electronically.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
From the NYTimes:

“ A federal judge ordered on Thursday that the Postal Service must conduct additional sweeps of its facilities in states with extended ballot receipt deadlines for leftover ballots. The judge, Emmet G. Sullivan of the District of Columbia, has overseen several lawsuits against the Postal Service.

Those lawsuits have produced daily logs of the Postal Service’s on-time ballot delivery, which the agency defines as one to three days. On Thursday, nearly 11 percent of ballots sent to election officials did not meet the service standards. In Philadelphia, that figure was 45.1 percent.”

45.1% seems a bit high...

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post