well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Stay up or go to bed early?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stay up or go to bed early?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok, just trying to wake up here.... and trying to take in all the various “here’s how Biden wins” vs. “here’s how Trump wins” scenarios...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I went to bed at 11:30pm last night hoping to wake to better news.

Today is going to be much more stressful than election day yesterday.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Jon - looks like I was not giving enough consideration to the mail in ballots. Michigan and Wisconsin may still end up with Biden which would tos this up. Nate is still calling it for Biden though not with a lot of confidence. If that's true, the bad news is that the lack of clarity in the result will in litigation that could delay. We may have a redux of this going to the Supreme Court.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I made this image to remind everyone what we are supposed to be doing right now:

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I went to bed with no hope of PA and little hope of MI and WI. GA was a non-issue, and the Dems were losing House seat while not gaining the Senate.

Can't say the House and Senate look much better by light of day, but suddenly GA is within reach, WI and MI look like Biden will win once the votes are counted. AZ is likely. Nate Cohn still thinks PA will turn blue despite the 700000 deficit. That's a lot of blue absentee ballots! But if GA turns blue, Biden doesn't need PA if he wins WI, MI, AZ.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can't keep track of all these variables well enough to have a sense of "Biden will probably win" or "Biden will probably not win."

Not feeling like I've slept enough doesn't help....

Gonna go get more coffee...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I'm looking at houses for sale on Vancouver Island. I can't deal with living around stupid people any more.

That wouldn’t be my choice.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From one of the livebloggers over at 538.

quote:
Well, here’s one thing we do know at this point: America remains a deeply, deeply divided nation with a rickety old election system, administered chaotically and inconsistently. The days, weeks, months and years ahead look quite ugly right now, however the votes finally shake out.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I'm looking at houses for sale on Vancouver Island. I can't deal with living around stupid people any more.

That wouldn’t be my choice.

You LIKE living with stupid people? Big Grin

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Don’t get me wrong, I love Vancouver Island. I lived very near it for 10 years, could often see it across the water and it wasn’t much of a trip to get there. I lived in that climate. But I’ve decided like living in a sunnier drier climate with lots of space for horses, and no need for car ferries. Smiler And quite honestly, all this talk of moving someplace else - you just end up with another set of issues to be unhappy with. I’m tired of moving. (Not to say it won’t happen to us again at some point, but I’d just rather not at the moment. So much time wasted moving).

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
People moving *to* Montana.

quote:
BOZEMAN, Mont. — The four-bedroom contemporary just west of town smelled of fresh paint, flooring, sealant and new beginnings. The Bridger Mountains beckoned against an azure sky off the back deck, and Robert Carder, Montana's newest transplant, couldn't contain himself.

“This is your new home, Conner!” he exclaimed to his 57-pound Australian cattle dog, whose paws were slipping on the wood floor in the living room. Carder spread his arms wide. “How much bigger is this than the picture?” he asked his wife, Valentina, confirming what the couple from Los Angeles already knew.

Their living room didn’t just seem bigger than the photos on Zillow that had led them to make a $559,000 offer after 24 hours in Montana, a place they had never been. The 2,300-square-foot house was twice the size of the two-bedroom condo they sold in Brentwood, Calif., before packing their cars and driving 16 hours northeast, released from the confines of the coronavirus pandemic and the jobs Robert had grown to hate and Valentina had lost.

This was the 19th walk-through their broker, Charlotte Durham, had done for out-of-state clients since Montana’s virus shutdown ended in late April and its real estate market flipped into hyperdrive. Buyers fleeing New York, Los Angeles and other densely populated U.S. cities say they want to leave the coronavirus clusters and social justice unrest behind.

Even as the state’s fierce winter looms, the transplants are pushing house prices to record levels. Some are offering millions of dollars in cash for houses and land they have seen only on the Internet.

“They were like, ‘We’re hoping we love it!’ ” Durham recalled on a late-summer morning as the Carders nodded in agreement.

Montana has remained a mystery to most Americans, even though it boasts some of the most magnificent scenery in the West. But as the pandemic has taken hold across the United States, what once were rural outposts here have turned into boomtowns.

These arrivals are not just tourists visiting Yellowstone National Park or looking for a wilderness vacation. This is a stampede of transplants descending in Porsche Cayennes and Teslas with cash offers. It’s multimillionaires grabbing up luxury ranches to serve as second or third homes. It’s buyers with more modest resources looking for a way out. It’s city dwellers seeking bare land in Montana’s wilderness to serve as insurance policies for America’s uncertain future.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...old-rush/ar-BB1ad6mO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
YEs, lots of articles like this one recently. People are even buying places in our superfund site town without looking in person. Housing prices in Bozeman are insane, median might be over $750k now. Missoula, Billings - they have all skyrocketed. Truthfully I wonder how many will change their minds post pandemic and after a few winters. Especially here.

The other cities have lots of shopping choices. We have a dead mall (no anchors, one jewelry store a joannes fabric store and maybe a hallmark store). and besides a few small specialty stores, the only place to by clothing is walmart. The only place to get a lot of things is Walmart. (We lost two grocery stores last year). Our Costco run is the hour plus drive over a couple of passes and winding canyon roads (can be scary in the winter) up to Helena.

Part of it is the popularity of a couple of TV shows - Yellowstone, and the new one that is coming out - Big Sky. Easy to fall in love with the mystique. I adore living here, it’s a landscape painter/horse person’s paradise - but most places here you really need to love doing things outdoors, and be ok having to travel vast distances for some things!) And the nth generation Montanans (they often remind you of that) aren’t all that thrilled with the newcomers either.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Chas - Big Grin

Smiler Jodi