well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Any pinot noir fans here?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any pinot noir fans here?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Chile is finally starting to get better at it, and at a steal price. I had a couple of them this week from Costco at about $11 each. Both very nice, if just a hair thin on the finish. Still table wine, but with a nice sense of reserve. More Burgundian than New World. Concha Y Tor's Marque De Caseras and Errazuriz's Max. Bargains.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Good to know. Normally I wouldn't touch Concho y Toro.

And I was surprised to see some obscure small-batch Chileans in a Manhattan wine store I respect.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Why. I have always thought the Concha was a very good value for basic table wine. I haven't had a Chilean Pinot Noir, however.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Sadly, my triglycerides went up quite a lot at my last checkup, so I've sworn off alcohol for the time being.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Concha y Toro is a huge conglomerate, so it's best to judge their wines individually, rather than a sweeping overview of everything they produce (kind of like Gallo in California).

I've always had a soft spot for their carmenères, specifically from the Marques de Casa Concha line. Not so sure about a Pinot Noir from that region, just based on the climates that normally produce really good pinots noirs.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I found almost a case of 2015 Colene Clemens Dopp Creek pinot yesterday. Wine Meddler Spectator gave it a 95 rating and a number 7 spot in the top 100 and so made it very sought after and rare.

The 95 rating was absurd, It's a very, very good wine, especially at its price point of under $25. That's why I don't pay much attention to numbers. Tell me what it tastes like.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Since you posted this, I found a Chilean pinot noir (though not one of the ones you mentioned) at the local store and tried it. It was fine, on the light side in body, but tasty. I think it was $13. Not recalling the name just now.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Como Sur is pretty available and it is decent. They are really coming along, but, like in California whose pinots used to be pretty bad, it takes time to figure out how to work with that most finncicky grape.