well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Rainy day, cold day
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rainy day, cold day
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I'm making stock from the ham bone I froze after Christmas dinner. I'll make it in to ham and vegetable soup this afternoon.

What's for dinner at your house?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Not sure--either veggie soup and garlic bread or salmon over wilted spinach and rice. So many options! Whatever I don't make tonight is on for tomorrow.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Isntant Pot Coq Au Vin. Unless I get lazy and grill up a steak.

But I don't want to even hear about cold. It was -28 in Madison Thursday when I went out to start my ride. Today back in Cincinnati it is 73 degrees warmer. And it's still cold.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Rainy day, cold day???
What do you call a rainy day, cold day in Southern California?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Rare. Very rare.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Rainy day here, cold day elsewhere. Still a good day to stay in and cook something.

I made the stock on the stove even though the IP is faster. I wanted the smell of it cooking in the house and I got that.

I've made Coq au Vin but never in the IP. If you decide to make it please let me know how you liked it.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
DOesn't look like tonight but I will be making it this week. It's a Bon Appetit recipe and gets good reviews. They say you can do it in an hour but I am thinking two. Which is OK because it's not two active hours. Real Coq Au Vin takes much longer.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
It's drizzly and cool for Oklahoma, but it's nothing like what's going on elsewhere. Actually, it's nothing like the coldest days I've experienced here in the past three-and-a-half years.

I learned this week that you can get local, organic milk and eggs delivered to your door year-round. The same farm has a CSA, so I bought a quarter-share, being as I am the only person living here who eats vegetables and a full share would be overkill. I would swear to you that the website said that the CSA was only for six months of the year, beginning in April, but my quarter-share arrived on Tuesday.

I've had a lot of meetings and such beyond my usual teaching schedule, so this is the first day I've cooked. Figuring that it might be days until that happened again, I cooked it all up. From the CSA portion, I made:

Cucumber-and-red-onion salad with vinaigrette,
Sweet potato and kale strata,
And roasted cauliflower soup.

I also cooked some blackeyed peas I froze last summer and topped them with some chopped red onion.

It was all very good, which is a relief because the strata and soup were new recipes for me.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just make him eat the damned things. It's good for him.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Naw. He's not three and I'm not his mother. He's got his ways of feeding himself and I have mine.

Science says that mine are healthier, though.

Except for all those Coca-Colas

Leaving

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Naw. He's not three and I'm not his mother. He's got his ways of feeding himself and I have mine.

Science says that mine are healthier, though.

Except for all those Coca-Colas

Leaving

Some wisdom in this.
Alan Watts said his vices were how he stayed grounded.
I suppose Coca Colas could keep one grounded.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
We have a terrifying howler of a winter storm going on right now. It got going just after our weekend house guest left a night early to get home before it was too dangerous to drive the 3 hours back to her place. We were celebrating our birthday a week early--we were born 4 hours apart--horsebackriding, hot springs, art museum, and toured the original governors mansion. It's was 51 at 4 pm and sunny, no wind.

Then we made rack of lamb, roasted parsnips, and arugula salad with goat cheese and heirloom tomatoes for dinner.

From 7:30 pm until 9 pm the temperature dropped from 45F to the current 3F. Tomorrow's high is forecast for -2.

HoPos are tucked in with extra hay, extra shavings, and i switched out the stock tank heater to a hotter one that will keep their drinking water at about 80F.

I would love to escape to a tropical climate right now, but we decided it would be better to wait until we dont have to worry about whether or not the horse sitter can get up our hill.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The soup turned out very well - super tasty. I've never had a soup other than bean/split pea made with ham broth and will be trying others. Need to adapt the recipe for the IP though - it took a ridiculously long time to make.

Recipe here

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That's very similar to the soup my mother made whenever she (and now my children and I) had a leftover ham bone. The main differences were that she didn't use cream or cheese rinds, and the vegetables varied by what she had at the time.

Oh, and there's a big difference in terms of time and effort, because we don't make the stock separately. We cover the ham bone with water and a can of tomatoes with their juice and add the aromatics and root vegetables--onion, carrots, potatoes, and whatever else you're using that needs to cook for a while. A bay leaf is nice and some pepper, but the ham provides a lot of salt. Then we simmer that for a while.

When the root vegetables are nearly cooked, we pull out the bone, pull off the meat, and add it to the broth. Then we add the canned, frozen, or fresh things that don't need much cooking--corn, lima beans, green beans, peas, or whatever. Season as you like, maybe with thyme and parsley. Cook till everything's hot and the flavors have blended. Check the salt and pepper and you're done.

Making the stock separately just seems like a needless extra step to me when you're not making something fancy.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Making the stock separately just seems like a needless extra step to me when you're not making something fancy.

When making soup from a fowl carcass with lots of small pieces (and sometimes even smaller bones), you kind of have to make the stock separately. With a big ham bone you can easily fish it out of the pot. When you've been simmering wings, necks, and backs of a chicken for a couple of hours, "fishing" gets a whole lot more difficult!

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post