well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Problem of Fake Products

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Problem of Fake Products
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This is becoming a big problem. I've gotten burned a few times and now I look a lot more closely.

The latest was a pair of work boots, the same kind I always buy. The listings (3) did not look right and all three were identical. The reviews were terrible.

I bought them somewhere else.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
In New Mexico, we're quite aware of this with regard to native arts.

Santa Fakes

Most tourists who buy "turquoise" jewelry in New Mexico wind up with a knock off piece of factory made turquoise paste (dust glued together) put together in a Philippines sweat shop and passed off as native American "hand made" work. Unscrupulous dealers will even make up "artists marks" to make their fakes seem more authentic.

Same goes for native American pottery. The real stuff commands a premium, but the fakes take money off the Navajo and Pueblo table.

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Sounds something like you get what you pay for...but what a shame...from the trumper on down, things are fake.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My last foray into Amazon fake products was to attempt to buy a cell phone battery. Photos of the original OEM part, guarantees, yada yada yada.

Whe it arrived, it looked like something that was assembled in a preschool crafts project. I didn't even bother putting it in my phone--I was afraid it would just explode and ruin it.

Yeah, Amazon doesn't screen its merchants at all, as far as I can tell.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
My last foray into Amazon fake products was to attempt to buy a cell phone battery. Photos of the original OEM part, guarantees, yada yada yada.

Whe it arrived, it looked like something that was assembled in a preschool crafts project. I didn't even bother putting it in my phone--I was afraid it would just explode and ruin it.

Yeah, Amazon doesn't screen its merchants at all, as far as I can tell.

No doubt Amazon does not screen its merchants. Cannot remember what it was, but it was carp.
Also realized from the reviews of harmonicas that there must be a lot of counterfeits.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, I had no idea this was such a problem. I am going to start paying more attention on Amazon, for one thing. Also, I’ve already been trying to avoid buying Amazon when possible, but this just gives me more reason to do that!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Seems like an easy problem to fix. Make the platform responsible for the actions of its sellers. A counterfeiter sets up shop on Amazon and sells a car seat that does not comply with federal law, someone is harmed, and Amazon gets a $35 million fine for not policing the fraudster. This isn't a free speech issue. This is interstate commerce. I'm cool with that. The deep pocket in this case has the incentive to fix the problem, and it better positioned (with information) to do so. Customers are more assured that they're getting what they think they're getting.

Will this raise prices? Sure. Some "legitimate" low-priced but reasonable quality knockoffs will be refused on sites because of financial risk to the platform. Those risks will be factored into final goods prices. And brand names will have more market power. Lower income people will be harmed disproportionately from these price increases and from the reduced range of cut rate options.

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Seems like an easy problem to fix. Make the platform responsible for the actions of its sellers. A counterfeiter sets up shop on Amazon and sells a car seat that does not comply with federal law, someone is harmed, and Amazon gets a $35 million fine for not policing the fraudster.

Easier said than done. It would have to begin with a particular injured consumer (who would sue Amazon - and win - a huge punitive award).

How to find such a consumer?

What's more, there are only a small subset of products capable of causing demonstrable injury.

Reminds me I've had to return 3 - 4 electric blankets and throws this season all purchased from the Amazon site, for reasons ranging from "didn't heat", "failed in the first month" and (pertinent here) heated up so much it almost scalded me.

I saw when checking the low ratings for products when shopping that a large number of consumers reported fires. (FTR They really are sleazy products, often clearly made by the same manufacturers under different names.)

Note that one purveyor wrote to me pleading hardship if I let my extremely negative review stand, and offering me $40! No, I didn't even consider it especially as this was one blanket that came close to catching fire.

Thus, I was ALMOST one such consumer. However would one sue the manufacturer or Amazon (legal opinions?). What's more, much fine print gives elaborate instructions on handling controllers. I wonder if Amazon wouldn't find a way to weazle out of payments (speaking of deep pockets).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Easier said than done. It would have to begin with a particular injured consumer (who would sue Amazon - and win - a huge punitive award).

It begins with a statute. I'm under no illusions that passing any consumer protection legislation though Moscow Mitch would be a walk in the park. By "easy" I meant that a statute that made 3rd party platforms legally responsible would change THEIR incentives. The mere THREAT of tort would likely lead to a dramatic decrease in the number (and severity) of Fake products, and especially ones that might cause suit-producing harm.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
In New Mexico, we're quite aware of this with regard to native arts.

Santa Fakes

Most tourists who buy "turquoise" jewelry in New Mexico wind up with a knock off piece of factory made turquoise paste (dust glued together) put together in a Philippines sweat shop and passed off as native American "hand made" work. Unscrupulous dealers will even make up "artists marks" to make their fakes seem more authentic.

Same goes for native American pottery. The real stuff commands a premium, but the fakes take money off the Navajo and Pueblo table.

As an aside, Navaho and Pueblo jewelry and pottery were relatively plentiful in the '40's. My late grandmother collected some beautiful pieces when the family was stationed there. They would be worth a small fortune today.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Wow, I had no idea this was such a problem. I am going to start paying more attention on Amazon, for one thing. Also, I’ve already been trying to avoid buying Amazon when possible, but this just gives me more reason to do that!

SK, I'm curious. What are your reasons for wanting to avoid buying Amazon products? I buy them occasionally but can think of a few reasons myself for wanting to avoid Amazon.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
If it needs to be genuine, I buy from the manufacturer or authorized seller.

Take tennis rackets. They cost $200 each and can last me 8-10 years. There are fakes out there, which will crack.

Or my Hydroflask water bottle. Bought it from the company because I wanted the real deal.

If it comes with a warranty, I won't get it on Amazon.

Cindy-- who doesnt rely on Amazon reviews either

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post