well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Copyright

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copyright
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
There’s a photographer on FB who posts the most beautiful sunsets. I want to blow a few of them up, print them and hang them on the wall in my house.

Do I need the photographer’s permission?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Technically you can’t print someone else’s images without permission. If they are a professional photographer they may be unwilling to give permission. However, if they are an amateur they may be thrilled you want to and may even send you the high res photos for you to print.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And you will need the high resolution file to enlarge it (and have it look good) . So you will need to contact the photographer to get that. (And offering to pay something for that would be appropriate).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Technically you can’t print someone else’s images without permission. If they are a professional photographer they may be unwilling to give permission. However, if they are an amateur they may be thrilled you want to and may even send you the high res photos for you to print.

Dol, is it the act of printing that violates the copyright? Certainly if you cut a photo out of a magazine, it is fair use.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
From the article (though cutting and pasting this is likely a copyright violation, lol) :

Almost any type of creative content—whether it be photos, articles, graphics, or what have you—is someone else's copyrighted work, which means you can't reproduce or reprint it without the express permission of the owner.

https://www.legalzoom.com/arti...h-someone-elses-work

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Certainly if you cut a photo out of a magazine, it is fair use.

I have a framed print on the wall in my piano room which I cut out of a calendar.

This particular artist is dead, which only matters in that I'm not taking potential profit away from a living artist...

Copyright is so much more complicated these days...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

Dol, is it the act of printing that violates the copyright? Certainly if you cut a photo out of a magazine, it is fair use.

Jf

It’s the copying or reprinting that is the issue. In Canada, educational use gives you some leeway (I assume the same in the US).

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
From the article (though cutting and pasting this is likely a copyright violation, lol) :

Almost any type of creative content—whether it be photos, articles, graphics, or what have you—is someone else's copyrighted work, which means you can't reproduce or reprint it without the express permission of the owner.

https://www.legalzoom.com/arti...h-someone-elses-work

Small selective quotes, especially when attributed, are normally considered fair use.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Here’s the Copyright Office’s analysis, including what they say about fair use.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html

On Steve’s basic question, think about those watermarks on videotapes that mention that unauthorized copying is a copyright violation and could subject you to all sorts of ugly penalties.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post