well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The big chill
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The big chill
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
winter delights.

In Tennessee, guy backs out of his driveway:

https://www.kmov.com/news/watc...1a-033afb68ab2d.html

Ice and power lines:

https://www.facebook.com/WWLTV...ts/10158381112589926

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Quirt and Mary Anna, do you guys have a generator? News reports here say power is out all over TX and OK.

In Texas:

quote:
Health officials in Texas are scrambling to use more than 8,000 vaccine doses before they expire after the harsh winter storm hitting the state knocked out the power of the deep freezers storing the vaccines.

Two Harris County public health officials told ABC News that their facility that stored the Moderna vaccine lost power early Monday morning and a backup generator also failed. The freezers that kept the vaccine at its containment temperature were among the affected equipment, they said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texa...er/story?id=75911159

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
whoa, those power lines!

I am morbidly fascinated with watching those videos of cars sliding on ice.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That power line thing is really dangerous. My son's neighbor's house burned after a similar thing happened. Al will know more about this than I do.

quote:
Moderna vaccine lost power early Monday morning and a backup generator also failed.

They had better hope they were keeping up with scheduled maintenance and test runs or heads are gonna roll. Or at least they should.

Meanwhile, were they able to hook up a rented backup generator in time? I can get one out to nearly any jobsite in about 2 hours. Or truck the freezers somewhere else.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen lots of videos of sliding cars and trucks, but that’s the first powerline on fire that I’ve seen. Whoa.

I hope they managed to use those vaccines in TX!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
whoa, those power lines!

I am morbidly fascinated with watching those videos of cars sliding on ice.

Was staying in Memphis years ago. Watched numerous collisions on the ice at a busy intersection. As much fun as a train wreck.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
3.6M without power in Texas. On the evening news they showed how people's water supplies were freezing.

Frowner

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
So much for a number of locations I'd been weighing as possible retirement destinations! They've been getting a lot more snow and ice this season than we (Central PA) have.

(Austin, Texas??)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How are our Oklahomans doing? And the Oregonians?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
With nearly 4 million Texans in need of power amid the winter storm that struck the state, demand for energy is exceptionally high. The demand has exceeded the supply that the state has to offer.

As a result, the Public Utility Commission of Texas held an emergency meeting on Monday where officials introduced an order that would adjust energy prices. The order said in part, "Energy prices should reflect scarcity of the supply. If customer load is being shed, scarcity is at its maximum, and the market price for the energy needed to serve that load should also be at its highest."

The order also stated that The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the organization that monitors Texas' power grid, should correct any past prices to reflect the current shortage of energy. However, there are caps in place in the order to make sure consumers are protected from skyrocketing prices.

https://www.kvue.com/article/n...85-8b9b-be6ad75316b4

The actual order:

https://www.puc.texas.gov/51617WinterERCOTOrder.pdf

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
How are our Oklahomans doing? And the Oregonians?

We're fine at the moment. We haven't lost power at all.

I checked our power companies site, and they did have a rolling blackout in a town very nearby. (It's so nearby that we recently had a water outage when they had a problem with the water system, so it's just luck of the draw that our electrical utilities aren't also entwined with theirs.)

In any case, this house holds heat extremely well. We've only heard of brief rolling blackouts in Oklahoma so far, and we could weather a few hours without heat. It would be pretty tough to go longer than that, though. I hope it's not a two-dog-and-two-cat night!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Did I mention that the cold never came up here?
That type cold front goes down the east side of the Rockies.
Denver was 20 or so degrees colder than at 9000 feet. A friend expected 4 degrees at his home south of Houston.
I tell friends in Denver to come up. We have cookies.
Gloating again. I feel so very guilty. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
(It's so nearby that we recently had a water outage when they had a problem with the water system, so it's just luck of the draw that our electrical utilities aren't also entwined with theirs.)

I may have told this story before, but it seems appropriate here and I'll tell it again.

Before my folks moved to CA they lived in Ely, MN for a year. It's not far from International Falls, and even though I was very young I remember it being very cold and there being enough snow it would cover up the front door.

I also remember that when the phone rang and there was nobody there they would fill the bath tub full of water. That seemed perfectly logical to me as a kid and it wasn't until I was in my twenties that I thought to ask my Mom why they did that.

Turns out is was a "one long two short" kind of phone system, and when there were electrical storms in the area the phone would ring for no reason. Electrical storms meant probable loss of power, which meant the well pump wouldn't work, and we'd have no water for a while.

Makes perfect sense!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Personally, this Oregonian is doing just fine. Lots of downed trees, but I live in a neighborhood with underground utilities so minimal power loss. But it's very localized. Just a block away they lost power for a little over a day. Also localized are the impacts of ice/snow on the roads. My driveway and the street in front of my house is ice. Two doors away it's clear. Thank you, picturesque trees. LOL.

Now the weather is warm, the main roads are slushy to dry and transportation is moving. Power is slowly coming on in other places.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Personally, this Oregonian is doing just fine. Lots of downed trees, but I live in a neighborhood with underground utilities so minimal power loss. But it's very localized. Just a block away they lost power for a little over a day. Also localized are the impacts of ice/snow on the roads. My driveway and the street in front of my house is ice. Two doors away it's clear. Thank you, picturesque trees. LOL.

Now the weather is warm, the main roads are slushy to dry and transportation is moving. Power is slowly coming on in other places.

We live with a ridge to the north and east of us, so we’re a bit sheltered and didn’t get a lot of ice on our 3 giant Douglas fir trees and maple in the back yard. No limbs down. We lost power for less than a minute, twice. But so many friends are waiting for power to return.

It was in the 40’s yesterday afternoon and will be today, too, so things are melting nicely. We shoveled a tiny path on sidewalk and walkway to our porch yesterday so the letter carrier can have an easier time today.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post