well-temperedforum.groupee.net
The big chill

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2713925597

05 February 2021, 03:28 PM
wtg
The big chill
At noon today the temp was 12.

It's only gonna get worse from here; we're heading for a ten day plunge into a cold snap. Single digit highs over the weekend.

ChillPill

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

05 February 2021, 03:32 PM
jodi
Ugh. I was hoping we would miss the dip, but apparently not.

Smiler Jodi

05 February 2021, 03:57 PM
wtg
Whoa. Your nighttime lows are gonna be way lower than ours.

Actually, this forecast is a little more optimistic than the one I saw this morning.

But in any event, you win.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

05 February 2021, 04:51 PM
CHAS
Come to the balmy Rockies at 9000 feet.
Low over the next four days will be 16F.
In the 20s after that.
More snow later today. Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

05 February 2021, 11:46 PM
RealPlayer
In 20s and lower here at night. House is warm enough, but our kitchen baseboards never heat up well. We have a space heater in there (only in use when I am cooking dinner).

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

06 February 2021, 12:15 PM
Mary Anna
It's 38 F and raining, dipping into the upper twenties tonight.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

06 February 2021, 01:57 PM
Nina
We really haven't had much winter yet... one day of snow, gone the next. We seem to be hovering in the wet 40s for the foreseeable future.
07 February 2021, 11:06 AM
wtg
It's 10 o'clock in the morning and the temp is -3. I don't even want to look at the wind chills.

I'm thinking I may skip my daily walk today...

Bazootiehead-in-training

08 February 2021, 03:41 PM
Mary Anna
WTG, your air mass is dipping south. The temps have been dropping all day, along with a constant drizzle. There has already been a big pileup on the highways in OKC as ice accumulates on the road, and we've got snow predicted for six out of the next nine days.

I'm glad Quirt has us stocked up on food!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

08 February 2021, 04:21 PM
rontuner
We've gotten out walking most days - I think it got up to 6 today without much wind, so it was very nice!

I haven't even broken out my "supercoat", a bulky down-filled wonder that would be best for sitting in some stands watching a football game in a deep-freeze. I did use it during the last polar vortex where the actual temps dropped way below zero..

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

08 February 2021, 05:58 PM
wtg
I saw news coverage of the accidents in OKC; ice is the worst.

Like ron, I've been getting out for walks despite the cold, but I've broken out the warmest LLBean jacket that I own. It was 16 here today, so it felt positively balmy. Or maybe that was just me.... WhoMe

Bazootiehead-in-training

08 February 2021, 06:50 PM
Daniel
-21? I've been where it's been -19.

It was definitely a memorable experience.

Stay warm.
13 February 2021, 07:18 PM
wtg
quote:
This is a true northern plains snow storm in Oklahoma. A combination of snow, blowing snow, drifting snow, strong winds, record cold temperatures and dangerously low wind chill temperatures on the way!

You have until this evening to prepare for this storm!

Here’s the timing for OKC: Snow arrives later tonight. Snow and blowing snow all day on Sunday tapering off to lighter snow Sunday night ending Monday morning.

Snowfall totals on average 8 to 10 inches across most of central OK. There will be some locally heavier amounts as you see on this graphic I posted.

The cold is a big deal!! You can expect record cold temperatures and very low dangerous wind chill temperatures with this storm.

Temperatures will drop to below zero with wind chills from -20 to -30 very possible!

https://kfor.com/weather/winte...w-storm-in-oklahoma/

Bazootiehead-in-training

15 February 2021, 04:16 PM
Steve Miller
Quirt and Mary Anna, do you guys have a generator? News reports here say power is out all over TX and OK.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

15 February 2021, 04:43 PM
wtg
We've had about 28 inches of snow over the last two and a half weeks.

We're getting more tonight, some areas up to a foot (it's lake snow).

(insert help emoticon here)

Kids just went back to in-person classes.

quote:
Lightfoot said the Chicago Public Schools also will be tracking weather developments closely throughout the day on Monday, and will make an announcement no later than 5 p.m. regarding in-person classes for Tuesday.

Bazootiehead-in-training