well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'm Transitioning, Ya'll!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Transitioning, Ya'll!
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
That is a joke.

That’s different than asking in all sincerity whether your husband likes that dress.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
That is a joke.

That’s different than asking in all sincerity whether your husband likes that dress.

No, it isn't always a joke. Sometimes, it is said in utmost seriousness. The implication is that a man can't possibly know what is appropriate and inappropriate to wear, and that his wife/girlfriend should have saved him from himself.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
You need nicer friends, then. I would never walk up to any person and say such a thing.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Quirt, I think we're talking about two different things. First, I agree that there is a cultural stereotype of the totally inept, loser man who is basically unable to put one foot in front of the other without help from his wife or kids. It's ridiculous, but it's there. It forms the backbone of many sitcoms, for example--thinking of "everyone loves raymond" as one, or virtually any TV commercial about housekeeping. Once you start to notice it, it's really, really annoying.

But I do think it's different than the expectation among many (and mostly men) that there is some sort of natural order where the woman obeys the man, the daughter obeys the father, the sister obeys the brother, the wife obeys the husband. To go against this, in even the most trivial manner, is to bump against this natural law, and indicates a basic flaw in the female, not the male. It's against culture, biology, religion.

I'm not saying this is how you think, at all. But it is most definitely how a LOT of men think, and it goes well beyond jokes or hand-slapping. But I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, so this will likely be my last comment, unless something gets really juicy. Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
My husband and I police each other's clothing and grooming decisions. I want to know if he doesn't like the choices I've made and vice versa.

But my husband has good taste and I respect his opinion on such matters. Also vice versa. With boyfriends who were not so gifted the dynamic would definitely be different. I might refuse to appear in public with them. I might insist they make a change. And of course they would do my bidding because they wanted to be attractive to me.

Also neither my husband nor I are controllable entities. We do what we want to do. Most of the time we want to please each other. Rarely do we want to please ourselves against the other's wishes, but it certainly does happen. On both sides.

For an acquaintance to ask woman how her husband feels about her hair choices is, first of all, none of their damn business, and second, betrays a belief on the questioner's part that the choice is unattractive, and third, implies the questioner's attitude is that wives are chattel. All of which is highly offensive.

I wouldn't put up with it.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I know a woman who showed up for the second date with a suit for her date to wear for more than a few second dates.
She was looking for a husband. That search took a while.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
She sounds like she was looking for a victim.

Wink

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
She was looking for a husband. That search took a while.

ROTFLMAO

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think guys might do this differently.

"Dude! What on Earth are are you wearing? And what the hell is that smell?"

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Every so often someone asks me what my husband/boyfriend thinks of my hair or shoes. Used to be guys who were that stupid. Now its the occasional woman, always my age or older. I try really really hard not to roll my eyes. It always conveyed the implication that permission was needed and they didn't believe I had it.

Moving along, that haircut looks amazeballs on you, Cindy! You have great bones and skin, and the cut shows them off.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I wondered why this thread had popped up again until I ready the latest three pages.

I've been educated more than once here how the perspective and experiences of an old straight white man is not the same as that of someone who differs in one or more of those characteristics. I never would have anticipated that a change of hair style would have provided one more lesson to me.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post