well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Local government gone berserk

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local government gone berserk
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
It was the parking story that went 'round the world. A California couple was threatened with a $1,500 fine for parking in their own driveway, as they have for nearly four decades. 7 On Your Side's story about their plight went viral and viewers stepped up to help them get their driveway back. But how?

Viewers from all over the world responded to this San Francisco couple's story. Many could not believe a city would threaten a huge penalty for parking in their own driveway. Many offered to help prove it was a historic use - and then - the proof they needed came from an amazing source.

"It just seems wrong."

Judy and Ed Craine had been parking in the carpad of their San Francisco cottage for 36 years... when suddenly the Planning Department said it's illegal.

They had to remove the car or face a huge penalty: $1,542 plus $250 for every day they parked there.

"I said what, that's crazy," Ed said.

So they quickly pulled the car out - but it made no sense.

"Why are you taking away something that has great utility?" Ed asked. "To all of a sudden to be told you can't use something that we could use for years. It's, it's startling."

The city planning code makes it illegal to park in the setback of a home to prevent front yards from becoming unsightly parking lots.

However, if they could prove cars were parked there before the law was passed in 1978, they might get a waiver.

"We could be grandfathered in. If we show them a historical photo that showed a car... or a horse-drawn buggy in the carport," Judy said.

https://abc7chicago.com/san-fr...erial-view/12057255/

This got my attention because we just went through village inspector hell with our new driveway. Who knew replacing like with like would be so complicated?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Well…it happens here where I live. Maybe 20 years ago our next door neighbors tore up their front lawn and paved it over so 3or4 cars could park there. That’s extreme.

But to not allow parking in one’s own driveway, that’s nuts.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I got a ticket once in college for blocking my own driveway. Big Grin It wasn't cheap, either, if I recall correctly. But it certainly wasn't $1,500. HairRaising

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post