well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Well this is exciting: UPDATE: Explosion today
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well this is exciting: UPDATE: Explosion today
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted
This is the town where I grew up and where my parents live. In fact, in the first photo in the news story, if the tent thing wasn’t there on the left you would probably be able to see their house in the distance. They haven’t been evacuated - only the apartments above the surrounding stores have - but they are saying it could take weeks or months to cap.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...t-gas-leak-1.6051594

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
HairRaising

I had a gas leak at my house a few years ago...scary but I did not have to evac, just have gas company folks tromp into the basement every two hours to check the levels for two days or so....

Hope all works out well and all are safe!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Eeker Did this get fixed yet?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Very strange. I am familiar with the hazards of hydrogen sulfide, having worked in industrial facilities, particularly coke ovens, where hydrogen sulfide was a byproduct, but had never heard of hydrogen sulfide wells. I wonder if they are natural gas wells with an unusually high secondary concentration of hydrogen sulfide. If that is the case, it might be fortunate because clean natural gas is oderless until an oderant is added to make leaks detectable by smell. A house a few miles from my home was destroyed by a natural gas explosion caused by gas introduced into the house with the well water.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yikes. Scary stuff.

Hope it gets taken care of soon.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They haven’t been evacuated - only the apartments above the surrounding stores have - but they are saying it could take weeks or months to cap.

Eeker

I hope resolves quickly, completely, and without incident!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Very strange. I am familiar with the hazards of hydrogen sulfide, having worked in industrial facilities, particularly coke ovens, where hydrogen sulfide was a byproduct, but had never heard of hydrogen sulfide wells. I wonder if they are natural gas wells with an unusually high secondary concentration of hydrogen sulfide. If that is the case, it might be fortunate because clean natural gas is oderless until an oderant is added to make leaks detectable by smell. A house a few miles from my home was destroyed by a natural gas explosion caused by gas introduced into the house with the well water.

Big Al

We have loads of oil and natural gas here so that could be. And because the building is 120 years old and oil wells were being drilled in the area before that, they aren’t 100% sure if it’s a natural well or a really old capped one. Emergency personnel are still in the area and it’s still all blocked off. Unfortunately it’s a town of 1,600 people and it’s at the “four corners” (the centre of the tiny business area) so most of the stores in town are impacted.

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
An update, kind of. The gas stopped leaking but they are still trying to figure out how to cap the wells. Apparently there are two of them and apparently this has happened before, in 1936. Here’s the resulting explosion:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
HairRaising

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's pretty creepy. Also makes me wonder why they would build on top of a well, natural or otherwise.

I hope they can figure out a way to cap it.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My understanding is pretty basic, but it was a natural gas well that powered streetlights and lights in the shops in the downtown. So it had to be close. The actual well heads are in a parking lot behind the existing buildings (which obviously went up after this explosion).

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
When I was a student I knew that when I saw a house on my left I knew to turn right to get home.
One day it was a flattened pile. I did a double take.
It made the news that evening. A gas leak caused an explosion.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a nightmare! I mean, since your parents were never evacuated, I assume it's safe, but still a nightmare! Hope it gets resolves quickly!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Another update….

Apparently they capped the well after the 1930s explosion with tones of concrete. But they also left a vent so the gas wouldn’t build up (which is what causes the pressure/explosions to happen). Last year, a local restaurant that now owns the area where the vent was paved the parking lot, not knowing the 90 year old vent was there.

The hydro is still off on the block. Two fire trucks and teams of firefighters are there round the clock. Two homes and a bunch of apartments are still evacuated. The small hotel and four restaurants on the block are closed. Seven miles away, a private home is undergoing the same thing. They were evacuated two years ago, and still can’t return.