well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The impacts of viral videos
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The impacts of viral videos
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A controversial video of Catholic students clashing with American Indians appeared to tell a simple truth. A second video called that story into question. But neither shows what truly happened.

https://www.theatlantic.com/te...ns-explained/580906/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That is a great article.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The author doesn't even guess at what truly happened. But why should he? His purpose is to tell us what didn't happen. Is it not true?

You've changed his title. Otherwise, you've cut and pasted.

Why don't you tell us what you think happened?

I did. Smokin'

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Covington is the same diocese that prohibited an openly gay valedictorian from giving his graduation address. That high school is the same one where a bunch of athletes can be seen making the white power symbol. These kids were wearing MAGA hats for crise's sake, they were in D.C. to assert male dominance over women's health. There are videos of these same teenagers taunting other people that day.

But I'm sure they were the model of respect and deference in this confrontation. Yeah. That's it.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Do I want to see them unfairly accused? No, of course not. At the moment there doesn't seem to be clarity about what happened. But there are a ton of peripheral facts hovering over that school. Nothing would surprise me.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Anyone who's not familiar with the school would do well to click here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...ace-pep-rallies.html

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
According to Snopes, that photograph (and the blackface cheering section) is true.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I might be the only American who hasn’t seen a snippet of this or read a single article about it.

R.E.S.I.S.T.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
As a parent, I was shocked to see that attending a political rally (and being allowed to create a spectacle, at minimum) was done and apparently encouraged by a school. Yes, my kids went to public school. But I also know many families who have sent their kids to Catholic schools or other religious schools. I think that, to a person, they would be appalled at seeing their kids used as political pawns like this. At minimum, that the school condoned their kids wearing "maga" hats is troublesome.

Now yes, before anyone's head explodes, I will concede that it is their right to attend, to wear whatever they want. But, as they saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I would not want my child being taught a political point of view as part of their education.

Waiting for the expected whataboutism at any point. My prediction: public schools have been teaching radical liberalism for years.... Evil

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It's easy. Students mocked the man while one of them stepped into the man's way and blocked him. The student's defense was that he wasn't blocking him (no, seriously). Student fails and is assigned to purgatory until further notice. Next.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I might be the only American who hasn’t seen a snippet of this or read a single article about it.

R.E.S.I.S.T.

I have not watched any of the videos and have only read this article that WTG posted. It’s a good article, and worth reading.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very impressive work on the part of the PR firm Covington hired some hours after the event. No doubt the lawyers helped as well.

Those kids have learned a valuable lesson.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
“Nick Sandmann and the students of Covington have become symbols of Fake News and how evil it can be,” Trump tweeted. “They have captivated the attention of the world, and I know they will use it for the good - maybe even to bring people together. It started off unpleasant, but can end in a dream!”

https://www.politico.com/story...ool-students-1116646

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
According to Snopes, that photograph (and the blackface cheering section) is true.

Thanks, Nina.

That photograph in particular is horrific.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post