well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Superspreader event

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superspreader event
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Family shaken after 18 relatives test positive for COVID-19 after birthday party

As North Texas watches COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations surge, one family is shouldering a health crisis that they never expected to face.

That crisis, all began on May 30 when just a single relative, unknowingly infected with COVID-19, interacted with seven family members at a surprise birthday party.

Those seven family members then contracted and spread the virus to 10 other relatives.

Now, Ron Barbosa is keeping track of 18 people in his family who have tested positive for COVID-19.

Barbosa didn't attend the party himself, but the celebration was for his daughter-in-law who turned 30.

However, Barbosa's nephew hosted.

That nephew is the one who was unknowingly infected, thinking a slight cough was the byproduct of working in construction.

Before the party, he played golf with a few family members who also attended the event, according to Barbosa.

Even though everyone did their best to stay socially distant, Barbosa said it wasn't enough.

"It wasn't that long. It was only a couple of hours," Barbosa, a volunteer EMT said. "But during that brief time, somehow the other 18 family members are now infected with COVID."

Barbosa, who is also married to a doctor, said he and his wife refused to go to the party due to safety reasons.

However, it was a party that by current state health standards appeared harmless. A total of 25 people attended, and not all of them arrived and stayed for the same duration.

"When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it," Barbosa said. "We knew this was going to happen, I mean this whole time this has been going on we've been terrified."

Among those infected are two young children, two grandparents, a cancer patient and Barbosa's parents, who are in their 80s.

Three are now hospitalized: Barbosa's parents Frank and Carole, along with his sister Kathy, who is battling breast cancer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...ay-party/ar-BB15WrOM

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
"When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it,"

And those people will live with the knowledge of what they did for the rest of their lives. And some of those lives may be shortened.

I will be driving across north Texas in a couple of days. I don't plan to stop.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That stupidity is all over the place here in Butte. But it’s going to catch up with us. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barbosa, who is also married to a doctor, said he and his wife refused to go to the party due to safety reasons.

Yes

Definitely some of the blame fall on the people who organized and/or attended the party.

But also, what does anyone expect? Public messaging, and public policy, regarding the disease and the risks are far, far too "gentle" and wishy-washy.

This is a public health failure that was preventable.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Inside.
No masks.

Can anyone really be surprised?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A man says he lost his father to coronavirus and 28 family members got infected

quote:
Garay does not know how the family members got coronavirus — there was no party and no big gathering. They believe one person got infected and it spread through minimal contact among various family members.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/f...ed-son-says/32991879

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Did you hear about the "private prom" in Central IL? (Or maybe they called it a secret prom? I've forgotten). Anyway, there were 40ish people in attendance, and at first there were 10 cases, but now my mother is telling me that 20 of them have tested positive. Also, apparently in response to this, the high school canceled football and all the people at the prom are being heavily ostracized.

And then there's Pence and the Texas COVID Choir...

VeryAngry

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Aaaand I just found out that my sister-in-law is planning on taking my neice to Six Flags "in a few weeks."

(And we are also having an awkward exchange about it on FB)

Frowner

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Aaaand I just found out that my sister-in-law is planning on taking my neice to Six Flags "in a few weeks."

(And we are also having an awkward exchange about it on FB)

Frowner

Ah, family Civil War ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
my mom is highhighhigh risk, but is losing it over not seeing family. It was damn near war to keep her outdoors and +6' away on Mother's Day.
The altoid was in tears because she was the only one who mom would listen to, so she had to keep restating the rules.
Ironically, of the three households in the family, my mom is the one who is out in public the most. So we are both scared for and of her. Big Grin

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I have given up on my sister-in-law. Now I'm just trying to make sure I can get my mother to agree to not see them for two weeks after they get back... Frowner

Although, their trip isn't for another week or so, maybe things will get back enough that the amusement park will have to close and they won't be able to go...

hope springs eternal. :P