well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why I turned down an offer to get my 2nd shot tomorrow
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I turned down an offer to get my 2nd shot tomorrow
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Amanda, while we had heard of fecal transplant, that is not what my Mom received.

She took a single infusion (it is done in an infusion clinic) over the course of about an hour, just once.

The med is quite new, called Zinplava and is specifically for recurring CDiff. While very expensive, Medicare approved and paid for it as that cost was much less then treating recurring episodes that included hospitalization for my Mom.

My Mom took treatment with no real side effects and has not had any recurrence. She will be 92 in May.

We were talking about the infusion a few weeks ago. She still says how very glad she is that the dr. mentioned it and that she went ahead with the treatment.

I hope you can find a solution very soon. It has to be exhausting. Comfort

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Sorry I assumed, BL. I hope it didn't offend you. Some people are more squeamish than others (I probably should have begun this thread with a content warning).

I'm very excited to learn about this brand new medicine, and much appreciate your calling it to my attention. Good news about Medicare coverage too.

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts. Yes, it has been a drag, but the last two days I've been almost symptom free (except for insomnia - I finally made the connection.)

The big fear (not, of course, the humongous ones of worst case scenarios - which I do NOT expect) is having recurrences. It's very reassuring to learn that there are these new, effective treatments (and that they are affordable too!) Guess I contracted C Diff at a good time if there is such a thing.

(Hoping too not to acquire dietary intolerances as sometimes happens - almost always lactose intolerance at least for a while.)

I'm feeling very optimistic and trying to remember I'm contagious since I don't feel ill anymore. Almost funny to have a second contagion to take precautions for.

Thank you again, and also other friends who have cheered me up with your support. Really helps! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post