Notify
Tools

Cheney
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I was just reading an opinion piece that said that a schism in the GOP should worry the Democrats as much as the republicans.

There were many republicans who voted for Biden (or didn't vote) because they could not stomach voting for I-1/TFG. Those people would flock to the traditional conservative party rather than reluctantly voting for a Democrat.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Republican Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming says that many fellow Republicans are "privately" thanking her for standing up to former President Donald Trump as she runs for reelection in 2022.

Cheney, one of the most well-known and vocal members of a small group of GOP lawmakers and leaders opposed to the former president, is one of only two Republicans serving on a special committee organized by House Democrats to investigate Trump’s role in inciting the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol by right-wing extremists.

"It’s a real reflection of the times in which we live that privately and behind the scenes, there are many Republicans who say, 'Thank you for what you’re doing. We wish we could be more public,’" Cheney told Fox News on Tuesday. "People who understand that what the former president is saying is dangerous, is not true, and who know that our party’s got to be a party based on truth, that we can’t embrace the lie."

"My hope is that going forward, it will become clear that that is where the party is, that we’re looking towards the future. But we really have to reject what the former president is doing and what he continues to attempt to do," the three-term representative said during an interview in New Hampshire.

Minutes later, she headlined the annual Nackey S. Loeb School’s First Amendment Honors program, which was held at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics.

Trump was a past featured speaker at the event. His headlining of the gala in the autumn of 2014 was one of his first trips to New Hampshire as he began exploring a potential run for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination.

Trump, defeated by now-President Biden in the 2020 election, has repeatedly flirted with making another presidential run since leaving the White House. And Cheney, in April, didn’t close any doors to a potential 2024 White House run of her own.

Asked about the next presidential race, Cheney told Fox News: "I think 2024 is going to be just absolutely critical for the future of the country. I think we’ve seen a whole array of really bad policies from the Biden administration. We’ve seen a real lurch to the left, which is dangerous for the country on economics, on national security policy."

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...for-what-youre-doing

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Sure, any movement away from the extremist right is seen as a lurch to the left...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
While I happen to agree with her about TFG, I'm not with her policy-wise on anything else.

What I'm wondering is whether she would be viewed as a viable candidate and alternative to the crazy guy. I've read that a lot of TFG's supporters were behind his policies but wished he would shut up and not act crazy.

What will they do if there's a non-goofy alternative? Will people fall for TFG's schtick a second time around?

Shrug

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post