Notify
Tools

Cheney
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I can get really depressed over this. All the local shenanigans that the GOP is pulling with gerrymandering, voter suppression legislation, and packing local governing bodies with like-minded TFG-istas tells me they've been playing the long game while the other side has been either in denial or shock/outrage.

I think a lot of these new laws won't pass SCOTUS, if they ever get there--even the current SCOTUS. But that's a long time coming. This battle is being won by the GOP at the local/state level.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well, there are still a few sane voices in the GOP, though they do seem to be in the minority.

I LOLed at the women's clothing and first lifeboat remark....

quote:
GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger (Ill.) on Sunday compared the Republican Party to the Titanic amid an internal battle over Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) and the push to oust her from her leadership position.

When asked about the intraparty conflict by host John Dickerson on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Kinzinger said the GOP is “in the middle of this slow sink.”

“Right now, it's basically the Titanic. We're like, you know, in the middle of this slow sink. We have a band playing on the deck telling everybody it's fine. And meanwhile, as I've said, you know, Donald Trump TFG 's running around trying to find women's clothing and get on the first lifeboat,” Kinzger said.

“And I think there's a few of us that are just saying, ‘Guys, this is not good,’ not just for the future of the party, but this is not good for the future of this country,” he added.

Kinzinger also zeroed in on House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) comments regarding [TFG]’s role in the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, adding that Cheney has been consistent.

“Liz Cheney is saying exactly what Kevin McCarthy said the day of the insurrection. She's just consistently been saying it. And a few weeks later, Kevin McCarthy changed to attacking other people,” Kinzinger said.

He added that the Republican Party needs to have “an internal look and a full accounting as to what led to Jan. 6.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...apitol-attack-to-the

quote:
"I think we've got to get back to winning elections again, and we have to be able to have a Republican Party that appeals to a broader group of people. And we have to get back to having a bigger tent as [former President Ronald] Reagan talked about and not continuing to—look, we had the worst four years we've had, ever, in the Republican Party [under TFG]," Hogan said.

The Republican governor pointed out that Republicans lost "the White House, the House of Representatives and the Senate."

"Successful politics is about addition and multiplication, not subtraction and division," he said.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump...-larry-hogan-1589888

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37847 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Republican Joni Ernst accuses party of cancel culture over Liz Cheney ousting
Senator says McCarthy ‘trying to silence others in the party’ in service of Trump

quote:
‘Cancel culture is cancel culture no matter how you look at it.’

https://www.theguardian.com/us...icans-cancel-culture

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37847 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/11...ald-trump/index.html

The problem with this analysis is that voter suppression might give Republicans the vote counts they need to win without needing more voters to like Trump.

And, if they doesn't work, just replace the election officials with Trump-friendly ones who will falsify the count.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ms Cheney's fate was decided by House Republicans in a vote behind closed doors on Wednesday morning.

Colleagues reportedly applauded her leadership tenure, but Ms Cheney drew boos when she spoke during the session and said: "We cannot let the former president drag us backward and make us complicit in his efforts to unravel our democracy."

The vote was not recorded but lawmakers cast an overwhelming voice vote in favour of removing Ms Cheney from her post.

Immediately following her removal, she told reporters: "I will do everything I can to ensure that the former president never again gets anywhere near the Oval Office."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57090202

Cheney speaking last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kwtDtadJNg

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Disappointed, but not surprised.

Seems to be the usual these days.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30034 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Of course it was a closed-door vote. None of those who voted to remove her have the courage to say they support the Big Liein public. They remain free to hide behind their anonymity.

If you don't think this was important to them, then why the closed-door vote? They should be out their loud and proud.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The vote to remove Cheney from her chair position was taken by voice, which means members of the Republican Conference voted aloud to remove her as a whole, and individual votes were not recorded.

Some members expressed disappointment with the speed of the process of the vote.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., told reporters after the vote that there were not the usual speeches offered prior to the vote. He called it "ironic" that the voice vote was used as a sign of unity.

Rep. Ken Buck, R-Colo., called it a "shame."

Cheney spoke briefly before the vote to remove her, calling on her colleagues one last time to move forward from "the big lie" of Trump's false election fraud claims. Buck said some members gave Cheney a standing ovation after her remarks.

She spoke on the House floor Tuesday evening, calling Trump a "threat."

"This is not about policy. This is not about partisanship. This is about our duty as Americans," she said Tuesday. "Remaining silent and ignoring the lie emboldens the liar. I will not participate in that. I will not sit back and watch in silence, while others lead our party down a path that abandons the rule of law and joins the former president's crusade to undermine our democracy."

According to Kinzinger, Cheney had supporters in the closed room where the vote was taken, but it was unclear how many exactly. He told USA TODAY there were “people ready to go to battle for her.” So, having a voice vote rather than a roll call or ballots was a show of “fake unity,” he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...anik-bid/5044720001/

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12523 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Is this Republican cancel culture in action?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34880 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They call it "unifying" and "not rehashing the past".

It smells like cancel culture to me.

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well, canceled because she's honest is rather different than canceled because, say, you serially harass women.

Posts: 12523 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Before we get too far off in to the weeds, let’s understand that Liz is no friend to those who embrace Democratic principles. She’s still her fathers daughter.

I’m enjoying the fight, but at this point all I can do is root for injuries.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34880 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping she pulls enough people off with her to splinter the GOP....

Yes, she is still the daughter of the POFD.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chip Roy to challenge Stefanik for the job.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...-conference-n1267318

popcorn

Bazootiehead-in-training