well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mr "Merrick who?" goes nuclear

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mr "Merrick who?" goes nuclear
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Systematic obstruction my ass.

quote:
Senate Republicans used the “nuclear option” Wednesday to unilaterally reduce debate time on most presidential nominees, the latest in a series of changes to the fabric of the Senate to dilute the power of the minority.

The move by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) immediately paves the way for quicker confirmation of President Donald Trump’s judicial and executive branch picks and comes amid deep GOP frustration with Democratic delays. Future presidents will benefit too, though McConnell and Trump stand to gain inordinately as they seek to fill 130 District Court vacancies over the next 18 months before the 2020 election.

The nuclear option — a change of the Senate rules by a simple majority — gained its name because it was seen as an explosive maneuver that would leave political fallout for some time to come. But it’s now been deployed three times in just six years amid continuous partisan warfare over nominations.

McConnell first sought to cut debate time on executive nominees, with the Senate voting 51-48 to overrule existing precedent. Later on Wednesday, McConnell will do the same for the District Court positions.

McConnell trashed Democrats’ “systematic obstruction” as he stumped for his effort on the Senate floor. His move is particularly consequential in divided government when much of the Senate’s time is now spent confirming executive nominees and lifetime judicial appointments. Under the change, debate time on District Court nominees and subcabinet executive nominees is slashed from 30 hours to 2 hours, a shift that will allow Republicans to fill dozens more vacancies over the coming months.

https://www.politico.com/story...ump-nominees-1253118

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I think our system is at a point where this is necessary. We just can't come close to filling vacancies in the system unless the president's party has 60 senate seats and it's been that way for at least a decade.

It's not really sustainable.

Reid got us part way there and McConnel will finish the job.

I'm somewhat surprised the filibuster for legislation wasn't seriously threatened in the two years that it mattered. I was doubting that it would survive the Trump presidency.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Can't say I disagree with anything you say. It's just that the optimist in me wishes that our leaders would live up to good standards rather than down to bad precedents.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post