well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Saving the Monarch Butterfly Migration

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saving the Monarch Butterfly Migration
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Each fall, clouds of monarchs make their way from the U.S. and Canada down to Mexico, returning north when the weather warms. The beloved butterflies were recently listed as endangered, catalyzing a conservation network across North America.

https://atmos.earth/the-monarc...source=pocket-newtab

I have several neighbors who are working to establish suburban habitats that are friendly to monarchs. Some are pretty elaborate, while others are modest (like planting a patch of milkweed for them).

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There’s milkweed mania around here. I tried growing it from seed but that didn’t work.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I just added some milkweed to our garden. I visited a native plants greenhouse on Aamjiwnaang First Nation and they gave each participant in our workshop a milkweed plant to bring home. There are two varieties native to my area. One grows better in clay (that’s the one I got) and the other in sandy soil.

Point Pelee (about 30 minutes from me) is the resting spot for Monarchs before they cross Lake Erie in the fall migration. If you are lucky enough to be there when weather conditions are right and they are forced to roost before setting out, it’s quite a spectacular site. https://paulroeddingphotograph...-tip-of-point-pelee/

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I have a few milkweeds growing around my yard and garden. I'm careful not to destroy them and there are a few more each year. I hope they are helping the Monarchs.

Dol, I noticed that the web page you posted was from 2018. Do you know how the population was doing during last year's migration?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I grew up surrounded by acres and acres of fallow former farmland. The milkweed was everywhere, as were the Monarchs. It was a treasure I miss to this day.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I have a few milkweeds growing around my yard and garden. I'm careful not to destroy them and there are a few more each year. I hope they are helping the Monarchs.

Dol, I noticed that the web page you posted was from 2018. Do you know how the population was doing during last year's migration?

Big Al

I am not sure. I do know that there were great migration days in the fall with thousands of monarchs spotted but I don’t know how that compares to past years. I do know that our numbers depend greatly on how many begin the journey North from Mexico. A couple years ago there was a cold snap in Texas in the spring and that caused a huge decrease in our numbers here.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post