well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bubba Wallace
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubba Wallace
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I believe you are mistaken about how the door closes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bob...709357670405/photo/1

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Then there’s this statement from another team that used the stall last fall.

https://mobile.twitter.com/woo...462859460608/photo/1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I see. But it's still clearly a noose.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. And I remember in school some kids thought it was cool to learn to tie them - So somebody thought it would be cute to tie a noose in this stall in 2019, not knowing what a big fat disaster of a mess it would turn into in 2020. Surely the person who tied this Back then is aware of what is going on now - wonder why they haven’t come forward. Fear now, maybe. I just don’t even know what to think anymore. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I'm not buying the innocent pull-down rope story.

It's a noose. It even has the traditional seven turns in the coil (seven was once considered an unlucky or unholy number; 13 loops was also common).

It's not "a rope fashioned like a noose". It's a noose. It is clearly, unmistakably, a noose.

Like Jodi said, it used to be cool to tie them. In the 1970s, I had one on the wall in my garage, too. A noose then (not in the American South) was a sort of a morbid symbology thing like Harley riders have skulls all over everything.

I believe a noose as a symbol is much more loaded today, especially in the American South... or we've just become aware throughout the country how loaded it's been for centuries. Frankly, I'd put it in the same category as the confederate battle flag. ("Oh, that's just a piece of fabric we hung up as a makeshift window curtain... it is not a symbol and it's not directed at any specific person!") My take is still that it does *not* need to be directed at a specific person to be a symbol of hate, intolerance, or a threat.

If you are driving in the American Deep South and on your way into a small town you see a noose hanging from a tree branch, what does that mean to you?

(I had to look at a map... Talladega is 50 miles east of Birmingham, Alabama.)

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes, a noose here, living in the west, doesn’t have the same meaning To me, (or at least it didn’t) as it would to someone in the south. Though it’s entirely possible I haven’t been paying enough attention up until now.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I am still of the opinion that the Wallace incident was a fluke.

But I can also understand why people would come to the opposite conclusion. It's abundantly clear that we continue to have huge problems when it comes to issues of race.

To wit:

https://www.journalnow.com/new...17-fad413c01300.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Trump shows what he's made of.

So does Bubba.

https://www.al.com/sports/2020...-from-the-potus.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The garage selection was random? BS

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post